Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
    Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

48 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

39 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! Happy to say Dimension 2.2 released today (April 2nd, 2019) with some updates for Decal resolution. It should be much higher across the board and also has some new controls for graphics to be placed into “fill” mode for layered graphics.

This is not a complete solution for infinite resolution rendering. When you import graphics that are vector we are currently rasterizing based on the size of the original document. Both vector and raster images still also do have an internal size limit. This is a first step to boost the quality while we work on making the graphics truly resolution independent.

2. Folding and Special Printing Effects

Can we have special printing effects simulated over the packaging designs - like UV, Foil, Embossing.... it would be excellent!

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. change object size/dimensions without distorting graphics.

Currently if I modify an object the placed graphic (whether it has already be placed or will be placed later) becomes distorted, this is wildly frustrating. All I would like to do is use the plane surface and put a graphic on it and the plane be the same size as the graphic, as far as I can tell, and this includes plenty of time with support, this is not possible.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Layered Material

When creating more complex materials, one of the most important things that I'm missing is a layered material, that we can blend different materials on top of another using masks or blend values like we have in VRayBlendMtl: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Blend+Material+%7C+VRayBlendMtl

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Smart Decal Wrapping

Wrapping decals, I'm trying to wrap a label around a cylinder or even the jar model and its doing this

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UV Map Editing

Ability to control the UV maps for 3D models

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Custom UV Mapping for Decals

A way to fix UV mapping or the ability to choose specific faces to apply decals to. I'm working with complex shapes and decals are currently not cooperating with me

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello! In our next release we’ve added automatic UV generation and error fixing so if you have a model with no UVs or that we detect UV errors you’ll get a prompt to resolve the issue.

This process is currently fully automatic and we are not yet adding manual UV mapping and controls. Once the new feature is out we’ll continue to evaluate providing manual custom UV controls.

8. Add bump map/texture

It would be a good idea to add bump map/ edit texture UVs feature

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Preview UV Map

I'd like to be able to preview the UV Maps of the object and do some changes to the UV map.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import MTL Materials

I'm having a very difficult time creating new materials...
    I'm currently trying to create a snake skin material, but Dimension CC doesn't support MTL files????
    What is the file type Adobe Dimension uses for its materials? Dimension should import MTL files as these are very common.

---

Edited by Moderator: Please only post ideas in proposal formats, not questions.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension uses the Adobe Standard Material which is based off of the NVidia MDL language. Our supported extension is ‘.mdl’, but it does require the Adobe Standard Material type. You can create MDLs using Substance Painter and Designer at the moment.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/standard-materials.html

For MTL we do have a conversion process when importing it along with an .obj but we do not have a standalone MTL importer yet. This is something we can add though. Since this is an idea based forum I’ll edit this question to be a proposal to support importing MTL materials.

12. 3D Painting link between Felix & Ps

Adobe could really take Felix to the next level, by adding the ability to paint on a mesh with UV's in Photoshop and communicate with Felix, by painting diffuse, spec, normal map then render within Felix send it back to Photoshop for the composite.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion. You can currently do 3D painting in Photoshop and then export the model as an .obj file so I think the key here with this request is to have a more live-linked experience. Could you talk more about what you’d want there?

13. Live Updating Material Thumbnails

After changing the properties of a material the thumbnail in the document doesn't change to reflect the new colors or look.

Also, after loading a model or saving and reloading the Felix .asd file the thumbnails all turn into "?" icons.

Building a way for the application to show live thumbnails of the current materials instead of a static picture will help with these issues!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Metal edge reflectance

Dimensions would benefit from proper edge reflectance for metals. Right now once something is fully metallic, the reflection color is uniform without regard to incidence angle. But that's now how metals are in the real world, the metal's color shifts to a desaturated version of the primary color. This is something many applications do. the edge reflectance follows the fresnel equation with something like 1.3 IOR for curve shape. Without this metals look flat and incorrect to the eye of someone who does 3D work and knows about this physical property.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Shadow mat material to catch shadows (or support for additional ground planes)

I do a lot of custom sign design (room sponsorships, donor walls, etc), and produce 3D renderings of them composited into reference photos I take of where the sign will be installed.

The quality of materials and rendering in Adobe Dimension really has me intrigued, but I need a way to place the 3D model vertically and catch the rendered shadow as if it was set against a wall.

In other software, I create a plane with a shadow mat material to catch the shadow, which is then rendered directly on top of the reference photo set as a background…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. beveled or carved edges for art

it would be awesome if we can create beveled/embossed letters for signage. especially letters carved into a surface with a v-cut (like in roman carved letters).

it doesn't even need to be a live text tool, just enable the software to use vector art for 3d art, and we will create the vector in iilustrator and import it to the library.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Flip Normal Directions

I tried to import an object made of Autodesk Fusion 360 and been transformed into OBJ through Autodesk 360.
    When I apply a material like wood in rendering the object appears completely black.
    I think the problem is related to the direction of the normal ... would be useful under felix have a command to invert the normal.

Another problem: there is the ability to scale the textures?

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add depth to decals

Depth slider for decals as seen in Keyshot

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve Import for .mtl Materials

I just started digging around in Project Felix and it is kind of a huge time safer for me, as I often have to put 3D Models into pictures for clients, also for animating them further in AE and in Cinema 4D this takes a lot of time - BUT I often get the 3D models with an .mtl Material or just a Cinema 4D file.

It would be great to be able to import those models with their materials right into Project Felix.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello! We actually already do this (to some degree)!

If you have an .obj with an .mtl and associated textures Felix will read it and import the textures along with the file. However, there are definitely some bugs with this, we haven’t caught all the cases by any means. We do a conversion into our own material system, so the materials aren’t a direct 1-1.

What would be great is if you can submit a ticket with your file for testing. The more use cases we have, the better we can explore and fix all the cases from different programs. It would be for testing only, not distributed or used in any way. If not possible, that’s okay too, we’re working on it, but examples help!

20. Automatically adjust the texture to the object

Hi jeannette,
    I work a lot with Dimension and what we can do with this program is fantastic!
    https://www.behance.net/emmanuelpepin
    Now I go further in the creative possibilities and I wish create my own materials. But it's really hard to adjust the size and orientation of a homemade texture to the face of an object. The offset, angle and zoom are never the same from one object to another.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the suggestion (and sharing your work). Just to be clear I understand the request you’d like to set up tiling/rotation etc. of a texture on one model, then when you use it on another model have it be effectively the same size on the screen?

Would that mean if the objects are different scale that the texture automatically sizes up or down for the model to maintain a consistent visual pattern?

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base