Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Expanded Material Types

Felix currently supports standard material types like wood, glass, metal, and plastics. Additional types could include effects and complex surfaces such as iridescent, glowing, skin, and layered materials like car paint.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cel Shading / Line Material (VRayToon)

Incorporate a shader such as VRayToon to allow for stylized cel shading and line rendering

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Toon+Rendering+%7C+VRayToon

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Smart Objects

Texture smart objects. Updating the file automatically updates the texture in Dimensions.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Warp Properties for image (decal)

It would be nice to have warp functions in the properties for images. I'm trying to wrap a coffee cup and the image curves upward and doesn't join at the two ends. If you could key stone the image it would accommodate for the conical nature of the cup shape.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Multiple Material Masking

Multiple materials on a siblge object, identified with a selected clipping mask.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Shrink Sleeve Label / Wrap-around Graphic Mode

I am working on a sleeve label design for a rounded bottle. In Dimensions, the graphic decal modes don't allow to warp seamlessly the design around the bottle.

This feature works on flat cylindrical models like the drink can included, but not in rounded objects; the graphic gets distorted.

I have found that I can achieve it in Photoshop instead.

It would be great to have a dedicated Shrink Sleeve Label / Wrap-around Mode for Graphics.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. quick human skin material

Can we get a human skin material?

I'm not talking something too fancy, just something that gives us a starting point for a quick and accurate sss and a start at texture. something we can touch up in photoshop or apply a freckle decal too spice it up a little.

Forgive me if this is already a thing, and I just haven't seen it.

also, if anybody has any tips on rendering skin in here, I'm all ears. my best luck has been with the wax material.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Skin usually requires a special material and shader sub-type due to it’s unique qualities. At the moment we don’t have a skin material type or the shaders hooked up to render them correctly, but it’s something we’ve discussed and we want to add support for in the future. I’ll be sure to update here as we move forward on skin!

8. Decal Image Reset Funciton

Decal Reset.
    There shoud be a button to reset decal dimensons.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. offset texture interactively

It could be valuable if we can have the transform gizmo of the decal also ifor shader's texture.

And also
    It could be valuable to unlink diffuse and normal maps transformations.
    Sometimes diffuse maps and texture maps don't have the same "physical" size...

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 360 decal on a sphere

For now its impossible to make a complete 360 layer around a sphere. It would be great to have the opportunity to stretch .ai files to fit 360 perfectly. Working at a ball company this is essential. Today using 3DMax just for this feature and would like to shift to Dimension if the feature is available ;)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, very interesting workflow. I’m curious here, when you do this with 3ds Max, what method are you using? For the example graphic you made, is that the texture made based on UVs or is that a template that you send to the printer, etc? Some details here would be great, the team is really interested by this example.

11. Placing Video Files as Textures

Add ability to export video format files will allow to use video files as textures.

The idea is: allow to cover objects with video textures and make them dynamic.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow finer adjustment for decal rotation

As it is now, you can only rotate a decal in 1 degree increments. This is not often precise enough to center a decal properly. Allowing a finer increment like .5 or the like would be very helpful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Replace Materials from Sketchup

I import Sketchup Scenes and would like a easy overview of my allready existing materials that I can replace quickly with the dimension materials. At the moment I have to pull in every material on every face which is quite a pain if you have for example a hundred chairs.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. AI files (layer visibility Management)

placing AI file with Artboard Selection is really great feature, but to go a little further managing "layer" visibility should be a must (or something like "layer composition" you have in Photoshop)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Material linking by default

Materials with the same name (for say a duplicated object) need to be linked BY DEFAULT. The current behavior of duplicating an object and having materials that are independent is a super bad problem. Right now if a change is made to one, you have to go link other instances and that's just tedious and painful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Glow for Decals

It would be great if you could add a glow feature to the Decal Properties so you can falsely make decals pop a bit more.
    - Brett Dawson

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Place Screen Designs on Devices

Make a simple out of the box route to rendering a laptop with a screenshot on it

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pattern material is not seamless

I am not familiar with 3D enough to know if this is possible or not, but when applying material that has a pattern to, for instance, a sphere, there is an obvious seam in the pattern on the circumference of the sphere, giving the effect of a separate material on each half of the sphere. A way to eliminate that seam would be nice.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting topic but it’s not something I have an easy answer for. The seams are caused by… well seams. ;) In order to put an image onto a 3D model the model is essentially cut up and flatted into 2D image space. The seams you’re seeing are the places that the 3D model have been sliced in order to lay it out flat.

There are some other ways to cut the model to reduce the amount of visible seams or ‘fake’ the seamless-ness across the seam. I don’t really have an answer on what we’re doing here yet, but it’s a great topic and I’d love some more feedback on this from what you might expect.

For example:
    - Do you want control on where those seams are placed?
    - Is it most important to you that there be no seams or that the image be very…

19. ADD Substance Share / Substance Source to CC Libraries

PLEASE - LET us add .SBSAR materials from Substance Share / Substance Source into Adobe CC Libraries. Currently these file types are not supported. :(

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Transparent matte plastic

Hi everyone, I tried in every way but I can't recreate the plastic as per attachment; if I work on opacity, the label placed as texure is opaque too; does anyone have an idea ???

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base