Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

Feature Request Details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Liquid Creation

When importing 3d models such as bottles, it would be nice if Adobe Dimension could add a liquid fill feature so that the bottle can represent a real beverage or condiment product.

49 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. save environment

Provide the ability to save the environment as a template so it can be reused with many different models. For example, if we want to use it to render product photos, so they all have a consistent presentation (lighting, materials, etc.).

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea! We’re evaluating saving many things. We’re starting with saving models and materials, but may include full templated scenes later. For the moment I’d recommend saving your .dn scenes itself then you can import a new object.

3. Metal edge reflectance

Dimensions would benefit from proper edge reflectance for metals. Right now once something is fully metallic, the reflection color is uniform without regard to incidence angle. But that's now how metals are in the real world, the metal's color shifts to a desaturated version of the primary color. This is something many applications do. the edge reflectance follows the fresnel equation with something like 1.3 IOR for curve shape. Without this metals look flat and incorrect to the eye of someone who does 3D work and knows about this physical property.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make import textures easier to find

ability to add textures without having to sign into libriries

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For applying to a material channel, you can double click the material to edit it, open the image for the channel (such as color, roughness) then use the file browser folder icon to browse for an image. We can certainly find a way for this to be more upleveled!

5. Combine/Subtract Models (Booleans/Pathfinder)

Booleans are the 3D equivalent of pathfinder, allowing you to take two shapes and combine or subtract their volumes from each other. For example, taking a cube then using a cylinder to 'cut' a hole through the cube.

63 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use Rulers

Can we get rulers?

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Switch canvas orientation with a single button

As per photoshop you can swap the canvas orientation with a single arrow button ( between W and H )and not have to retype measurments.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Curious how often you use this. Is it just to quickly get to landscape/portrait or do you often want the exact same resolution just oriented differently? Photoshop definitely does a lot more image setup, so not sure how important this will be in Dimension for the larger crowd, but curious to hear peoples thoughts!

8. Adding texture or images, like wood to the grounds plane.

Adding an option to the grounds plane property where you can add textures like wood or cement onto the grounds plane. It's helpful when rendering something that needs a surface as a background. And being able to change angles and still make the object look like its sitting on the same surface.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Double-click the Zoom tool in the toolbox.

Display images at 100% -Double-click the Zoom tool in the toolbox.
    Fit an image to the screen -Double-click the Hand tool in the toolbox.

These options can be very useful when we are changing canvas size and want to center canvas

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cinema 4D plugin

Add cinéma 4D plugin like after effect

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Height Map Input

We already have Normal Map, Roughness, and Metallic. The addition of a Height Map input would be great to add more detail and make more realistic / defined materials. With just the Normal Map input it feels restricting on the level of detail for material textures.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Option to prevent intersecting models

It would be helpful to have some sort of button that, when ON, would prevent any models from intersecting with other models while working on a composition. While this option is on, if I try to move 2 objects so close together that they intersect, this would be prevented, and the movement would be stopped. In other words, the models would behave like solid objects in the real world. Then, when the option is turned off, I'd be able to position a model to pierce the surface of another model as DN currently allows.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is definitely something we’ve chatted about, but not actively working on yet. Snapping, collision, and physics are all ways to approach this area, and all things we’re discussing. I’ll update if/when we move forward on one!

13. Import 3DM files from Rhino

Support Rhino 3dm. Files please

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Smart Objects

Texture smart objects. Updating the file automatically updates the texture in Dimensions.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom UV Mapping for Decals

A way to fix UV mapping or the ability to choose specific faces to apply decals to. I'm working with complex shapes and decals are currently not cooperating with me

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello! In our next release we’ve added automatic UV generation and error fixing so if you have a model with no UVs or that we detect UV errors you’ll get a prompt to resolve the issue.

This process is currently fully automatic and we are not yet adding manual UV mapping and controls. Once the new feature is out we’ll continue to evaluate providing manual custom UV controls.

16. Folding and Special Printing Effects

Can we have special printing effects simulated over the packaging designs - like UV, Foil, Embossing.... it would be excellent!

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. change object size/dimensions without distorting graphics.

Currently if I modify an object the placed graphic (whether it has already be placed or will be placed later) becomes distorted, this is wildly frustrating. All I would like to do is use the plane surface and put a graphic on it and the plane be the same size as the graphic, as far as I can tell, and this includes plenty of time with support, this is not possible.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Texturing support from Daz, marvelous and unity obj files

I'd love to see better texture support coming from DAZ, Unity, Marvelous Designer. Support for a zipped file set would be awesome. 7-zip is a great place to start for that, as they maintain their repository of developer source rather well. I've seen a lot of software implement 7-zip as a backend zip access. Baking in textures and such is very important in compositing.

My purposes:
    I do theatre work, and shoot artistic nature photos as a hobby. Both have benefited from your software suite immensely. It's so easy to understand in most instances. Dimension's basic features have helped in…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 360 background image

I would like to be able to use a 360 still or video with Dimension so that when I rotate the view the background rotates in relation to the objects in the center.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Animation Presets

Basic animation presets would be used to create turn arounds, fly-throughs, orbits, and other quick camera and object movements. These would likely include some parameters for customization such as speed, distance, and duration. Presets would not expose a full timeline and allow key framing for all properties initially.

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base