Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Facebook 3D photos - PLEASE!

I do a lot of product photos, would love to be able to generate what is needed to make the new Facebook 3D photos.

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replace Materials from Sketchup

I import Sketchup Scenes and would like a easy overview of my allready existing materials that I can replace quickly with the dimension materials. At the moment I have to pull in every material on every face which is quite a pain if you have for example a hundred chairs.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Camera Lens options

I'm doing renders and wanting to emulate a 50mm Canon FD lens that I have in my kit. It occurred to me that Lightroom has all of the details on every one of these lenses AND the distortion/vignetting that those lenses apply to the image.

Proposal:

Add lens options to the camera feature to enable us to replicate existing lenses. This would include the option of adding lens distortions (this is especially valuable in renders with high-dof where rendered objects are out of focus and near the edge of the frame where barrel distortion would change how the focus appears) …

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select material and cut-paste a new geometry

I would LOVE to be able to make a selection from a material's placement and then copy paste the geometry as a new object.

I happen to find that going from geometry to material back and forth is a bit tedious, So I'd rather "ungroup" my geometry and make it easier to change.

Having a right click option on a placed material to "make a selection from the material's placement" (= which means I already once on this project made that selection with the magic wand), or, second option "make a new object from the material's placement selection, and cut…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This should be very feasible. We do allow you (as of Dimension 2.2) to copy/paste selections of geometry into new objects. Right now the selection method is using Magic Wand, so if your material application is the same as a magic wand selection then you could do this today.

For a future enhancement we can add a way to select the polygons a material is assigned to.

5. Scene Panel Sorting & Filtering

Under 'scenes', want way of making the menu alphabetical ,for sure, but also perhaps date modified. Sometimes there are too many and it's very boring looking for things which because you're zoomed in, you don't want to find by looking at the object then clicking.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Window title to include filename

The title is just a static "Adobe Dimension"

This makes using automatic time tracking software impossible to decipher what file was being worked on.

Should be an easy addition

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Object Variations

It would be awesome to be able to create multiple “product configurations” that can be setup for easy rendering. For example, take a product packaging scene that needs many different textures for multiple product label versions/locales/languages/etc. Currently, each variation must be rendered out by hand individually, and there is no way to batch anything at the moment.

In this scenario, each camera "render view" would still be the same, but the textures, materials, models, environment, etc. could all change.

Take a look how Onshape and Keyshot handle their configurations. Onshape's configurations, though a CAD package, is incredibly powerful!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Don't allow file open to Interrupt render

When many windows are open and rendering is happening to a file in the background it is too easy to interrupt the render by double clicking on a .dn file. Can you give an alert box to prevent interrupting the render in progress?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this observation, and I’m sorry for the render progresses you might have lost due to clicking on a Dn file.
    We will try to make sure there is a warning to let you know whenever a render might be interrupted. Thanks for the great feedback and let me know if you have any other issues!

9. Targa import

Targa is a very common format for texture maps. You can open them in PS and convert to PNG/JPEG but it would be nice to have them work with Dimenion right away.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Faster Loading/Saving with Textures

I appreciate the WYSIWYG approach, but it should not take so long to save a simple scene when it takes less time for other 3D environments to save files with similar workloads.

Have a dedicated Adobe Stock folder installed on the machine for 3D assets for the program to reference to avoid such massive loading times (or taking up space in temp storage).

I'm not sure if loading the textures when you open the file would contribute to the load or save times, but I'd put an option to disable it just in case. Create a separate shader view if…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Save / Load  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Decals as smart objects when rendering to PSD files.

One of my client has multiple products with the same bottle but different labels. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to explore having the decal of a rendered model become its own smart object when rendering to a PSD file. Switching the image in the smart object out for each new product as opposed to rendering the same products over and over with a different label would be a real time saver.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’d love to know here if rendering was faster would you prefer smart objects in Dimension so you can place the new graphics in 3D? The reason I ask is mostly because if we bake the materials and lighting down to 2D there’s a bit more limitation on what you could do with the PS smart object. For example replacing the packaging label wouldn’t update to show in reflections or refractions in the rest of the scene. Is that an okay limitation?

12. Mutilple Object Selection Apply Decal To All

Would be nice to be able select multiple objects and apply the same decal to all at one time - multiple selection amd apply : )

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion here! Should be pretty easy to do. I’m curious would you primarily be selecting different objects of different shapes and sizes or primarily duplicated similar objects?

If the object has multiple parts would you want us to put the decal on all selected parts?

13. Render transparent PNG's

Hi Guys,

I used to be able to export a model with a transparent background by going into design mode, going into environment settings and unchecking the background layer. But that does not seem to be the case anymore.
    Another thread contained a message from about 8 days ago that has a similar problem: https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests/suggestions/17420401-final-render-transparency .
    The model now exports with a background, irrespective of the settings that I give it.

Hoping to hear from you soon, and thank you for a great product.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Share with password

Hello I would like to share my designs with others so that they need to have a passwork to access the work.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Collaborate / Share  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow user to put the "Tool options" back in the "view control bar" above the canvas, please.

Dimension used to have the "Tool options" in a "view control bar" above the canvas. With an update, the "Tool options" was moved to a pop-out window attached to the toolbar.

PLEASE make an option for users to move the "Tool options" back to the "view control bar".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import .stp STEP files

Dimension would be much more useful if it could import standard cad formats such as .stp files.

59 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Adobe XD Integration

Is it possible to integrate it with XD files? It would be very useful to make some Iphone X mockup using images from my Adobe XD.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adobe Ecosystem  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Metal edge reflectance

Dimensions would benefit from proper edge reflectance for metals. Right now once something is fully metallic, the reflection color is uniform without regard to incidence angle. But that's now how metals are in the real world, the metal's color shifts to a desaturated version of the primary color. This is something many applications do. the edge reflectance follows the fresnel equation with something like 1.3 IOR for curve shape. Without this metals look flat and incorrect to the eye of someone who does 3D work and knows about this physical property.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Import new object to same X,Y,Z orientation as current selection

Here is the proposed workflow:
    1. Select an object in Dimension that you've placed
    2. Go up to File>import> 3D Object and click to start the import process
    3. Imported object is set at the exact coordinates of the previously selected object, and is now the selected object in your scene.
    4.You can now make minor X,Y,Z location changes to the new object in order to have it match your vision of the composition.

Current process
    1. write down all of the coordinates for your currently selected object.
    2. Go up to File>import> 3D Object and click to start the…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Very interesting. I’m curious what the core thing you’re trying to do is, though.

Do you want it to import to the same location so that it’s visible because your camera is looking one way and it’s importing behind you? Or is it more about composition, like you’re placing it near that object so want to start there?

Currently we always import objects to the origin of the scene (0,0,0) because different objects might be broken into pieces but intended to align that way. Some other options could be:
    - Import to selection as you described above
    - Import to center of current view
    - Not at import but have additional controls for “move to this object” or “center to my view” type of functionality.

Lots possible here, and none of it is particularly hard, so more understanding the why you want this.

20. Is there any way to import your own custom color library?

I have a custom color library that I've created and I want to use it in combination with the materials Dimension provides. It would be great if I could choose a material and then just drag and drop my own colors on top of the material.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. We are very interested in supporting color in Dimension.
    Could you tell us more about your workflow? Where do you usually get your color swatches? Do you use ASE files or cloud libraries or something else?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base