Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Extrude Vectors as 3D Shapes

Extrusion is a technique where a flat 2D shape or surface is pulled out to give it depth. Vector extrusion would allow users to import vectors as paths, then extrude those paths into 3D shapes. This would include some additional parameters like hard or rounded corners.

255 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

54 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all! We’re taking a look at adding extrusion to Dimension later this year. We’re combining this with a text tool and hope to support vector/text extrusion later this year. I’ll update here as we progress!

2. Package Design - Create 3D Model from Dyeline/Blueprint

I'd like to be able to build a product package from a dieline created in Illustrator, fold it along specific lines, give it a UV gloss on parts, add foiling and embossing where required.

189 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GPU Rendering

Would be nice to use this with external GPU. My 2015 MBP with AMD Radeon is running fans so loud, it is hard to listen. And the speed of rendering is pretty slow.

Otherwise I definitely love the idea of 3D app for designers inclouded in CC. Just as handy, as Adobe Muse. Can't wait to see next versions.

178 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone. There’s been a lot of discussion here, and some of it is turning quite negative. I was going to wait, but wanted to jump in right away.

We have absolutely been listening and, as mentioned before, have GPU rendering in progress. We have our first build testing in-house right now and will be making it available on Prerelease soon.

Please, note this first release of GPU rendering will be Windows Nvidia only, on cards that support RTX raytracing technology. Plans for AMD and Mac is still in the works but won’t be happening this year.

You can join our prerelease program with this invitation link: https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/6D4BC437-A571-40B6-B398-1D29A4A13985/participate/7A1DBA5A-6CF2-4023-EE2F-3CA7B25DF3BE

Or if you’re already a member just visit www.adobeprerelease.com and visit the Dimension program.

We hope to upload our first GPU enabled build later this week.

Cloud rendering is in NO WAY a replacement or way to evade doing work to support…

4. Custom Light Objects

Lighting in Project Felix is currently handled through the Environment and Sunlight objects. Custom light objects would allow studio setups, with area lights that can be positioned, sized, rotated, colored, and set at varying intensities.

167 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say we are starting work on some lighting features this year. While I don’t know the full scope of what we’ll be able to release this year yet, some areas we’re exploring are:

More directional lights (like the sun) with a lightpainting interface to create custom environment lights.

Improvements to our Match Image feature to be able to detect and generate multiple indoor lights.

Improvements to glow materials to make them more expressive.

Additions of haze, environmental atmosphere, etc.

Last, but not least, actual 3D placed light objects.

I’ll update here when we have a more scoped vision or a prototype for testing! :)

5. 141 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone. Excited to say we’ve started some investigations for adding text to Dimension later this year. We’re initially looking at 3D text but may also include 2D text or decal text in the future. I’ll update here as we progress!

6. .igs/.iges, .sat, .smt and .stp/.step

These would be VERY helpful for those of us working in a Engineering Department. Engineers create models and we Technical Illustrators would love to make use of those models. Right now our option is a VERY EXPENSIVE Keyshot program. Bu we already have Adobe CC so it would be a great fit! So, PLEASE add support for at least these. Then later we'll bug you about native support for popular Solid Modeling Programs like SolidWorks and SolidEdge.

61 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone! Thank you for your votes/comments on adding .more file formats for Dimension. We are actively working on this and near completion on FBX, STL, SKP, and GLTF and are actively working on IGES and other formats. We plan to have some initial formats on our Prerelease soon, and I’ll send another update when that’s ready.

For now, we’re looking for some user files to help our testing process. We have many files from other sources, but user files are the best way to make sure we’ve covered all the possibilities! If any of you have some files you are able to share with us for testing we’d appreciate your contribution!

The files will be used only for the purposes of testing features. They will not be shared, sold, distributed, or used for other purposes.

You can send smaller files directly to tickets@adobedimension.com (<20 MB). If…

7. Faster Rendering

Render times are slow, not usable.

Render times are way to slow. If I render a simluaur scene in Cinema 4D, it takes only 1,5 - 2 minutes instead of forever...

60 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension 2.3 is now available (July 16th) and has cut render times significantly through the use of a new technology: Denoising powered by Adobe Sensei machine learning. Now, we can render significantly less time and still provide the same high quality end result. You can find the denoising option in the application preferences.

At this time our rendering is still CPU based, so I’ll be leaving this idea marked as ‘started’ until we complete our GPU rendering integration which we have started.

8. Import CAD files

Import CAD files please!

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that we’ve started work on supporting more file formats. We won’t be able to address all of them at the same time. Our initial new formats we’re looking to support will be:

.fbx
    .step
    .iges
    .stl

When these are available on prerelease I will post an update here with an invitation for you to come try it out! Thank you for the feedback!

9. Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
    Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

49 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! Happy to say Dimension 2.2 released today (April 2nd, 2019) with some updates for Decal resolution. It should be much higher across the board and also has some new controls for graphics to be placed into “fill” mode for layered graphics.

This is not a complete solution for infinite resolution rendering. When you import graphics that are vector we are currently rasterizing based on the size of the original document. Both vector and raster images still also do have an internal size limit. This is a first step to boost the quality while we work on making the graphics truly resolution independent.

10. Single Select Tool (combine move/rotate/scale)

Currently Project Felix has three tools for selectiong and transformation, the Move, Scale, and Rotate tools. A single tool would allow you to do some or all of the actions with a single tool with a redesigned interface.

41 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! Excited to say we have some initial work here on a single select tool. We’re currently doing some first rounds of testing and will probably have a prototype available more broadly in the next few weeks. I’ll update here when we have something for folks to try!

11. Cloud Rendering

option to process final renders in the 'cloud', render images on external servers not on local machine. this would be a dream for all those not carrying around monster laptops or able to waste hours watching pixels grow.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! I wanted to make a quick update on Cloud Render! This is still in the free beta period, but with our latest release (Dimension 2.3, which went live today July 16th), we’ve increased the size limit from 2000×2000 pixels to 4000×4000 pixels. Enjoy the higher resolution renders!

12. Final Render Transparency

Transparency on final render would be great fro compositing in photoshop with other elements.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Adobe Ecosystem  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! We’re reverting this behaviour in our next release so you’ll be able to do transparent background renders again. We’ll be using pure white as the fill color for the environment to give it a neutral lighting so you can colorize it easily in post if necessary.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base