Feature Request Details

Import Materials Option

Currently you can download materials from Adobe Stock to desktop but there's no way to import it without going through CC Libraries.

Adding a File > Import Materials option will allow for downloaded materials or materials created in other apps to be imported.

27 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Hello all! Project Felix 0.2.0 is available today with a slew of updates and enhancements (you can see the full list here: https://helpx.adobe.com/beta/project-felix/using/whats-new.html)

You can now import materials that you’ve downloaded from Adobe Stock via the File > Import Material menu option. This option will both import the material and apply it to your current selection.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Rebecca - Can you please clarify your comment? Dimension is an open ecosystem and can import models, materials, and lights from any source, as long as it's in the right format.

Supported Material Format: .mdl (and .mtl when importing with a model)
        Supported Model Formats: .obj (.stl, .skp, and .fbx coming in 2.0)

• Rebecca Dix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Initially a very exciting prospect until discovering you can only download materials from Adobe resources. This doesn't work for more bespoke branding visuals that require specific material backgrounds.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nick - Dimension uses the Adobe Standard Material, which is a version of NVidia MDL language. The supported file extension is '.mdl' but we only accept Adobe Standard Material variations at the moment. You can create Adobe Standard Material .mdls with Substance Designer and Painter currently.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/standard-materials.html

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone know what the file format Adobe Dimension CC uses?
        For 3D objects it's an .obj file... cool but i'm trying to import a new material i created and i can't figure out what file format i need....

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to change the source image of a material inside Felix? For example, I apply the stock marble texture to an object, and I want to change the source image (jpeg of different stone stored on my hard drive) to give the object a different look. Basically, is it possible to modify stock textures with local jpegs?

Thanks

I'd love to know what types of materials you're creating and how? Are you doing 3d painting on models to create very specific per-model materials? Are you creating tiling patterns for reusable material presets?

We plan on expanding the material capabilities in Felix quite a bit!

• MarciaFunebre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly my point, why not GIVE Photoshop this ability? Why have to rely on third party software like Substance Designer to make your materials? Since Adobe seems to expand into the 3D realm this should be a no-brainer on the PS roadmap.

• MarciaFunebre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about an option to where you can create and save materials in Photoshop and then import them into Felix?

• Wicksie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bit of a shame it's only pedalling your own resources. It would be useful to import your own materials and not just have to use Adobe Stock.

• Ko Maruyama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure you've found that you can add textures to specific parts of the material by importing jpg/png.

Unfortunately, there is no way to place the png texture within the edited material : mapping appears to be UV only. No UVW offset tho.

Feedback and Knowledge Base