Feature Request Details

Final Render Transparency

Transparency on final render would be great fro compositing in photoshop with other elements.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello all! For this area, we have a question for everyone! The reason this functionality was changed is because the environment impacts the lighting. We have to use a color for all lighting and reflections, we can’t use transparent lighting/reflections. So if you had a transparent background, what would you want to reflect or light in the background? We can fill it with black or white by default, or give you a color field to pick from, but we do have to use something.

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I unchecked the background box and even deleted the background image completely and I still also get a png with a white background in the png. Hoping there might be a preference or something that I have to update. The other option is to export as photoshop file and then remove the layer there. Seems useless to me

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeanette - Your suggestion worked! Thank you! That makes it so much faster and easier to create .tifs from Ps for print layout work.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Janette, I was able to save a png with a transparent background...until I wasn't. Even with the background box unchecked I still wind up with a white background in the png. Is there a bug or some sort of work-around?

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Thrill - I'm sorry can you go into more detail here? This question/comment wasn't really asked or answered well. You can turn your background off in Dimension if you want to render it transparent.

- Go to Design Mode
        - In the Scene panel select the Environment
        - Turn off the checkbox next to "Background" in the properties.

Your render will now have a transparent background.

• Thrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's ridiculous Jeanette. That's double the work. We just used Dimension for 20 product renders and had to open each in Photoshop separately just to save it as transparent. That's a total pain in the arse and shouldn't be the case.

Feedback and Knowledge Base