Feature Request Details

Export 3D Objects

I'm sure you hear this a lot, but it would be great to have the ability to export objects in .C4D and .FBX file formats to be able to bring them into programs like After Effects and directly into Photoshop.

64 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello! The Dimension team is gathering some feedback around various export requests. If you’re interested in providing more detail on your request for exporting workflows, please take a moment to fill out the following brief survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/kZj2F9W2bH10Qj743

We are continuing to work on gltf/glb exports this year but would love more detail on workflows and other formats.

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Michele, not much more to add. At the moment we're exploring various import/export improvements, but it isn't something we have yet. We're most immediately working on .GLTF export which is available in our Prerelease program. More formats like .obj are still under evaluation. There is a survey available in the status for this topic I'd recommend taking.

• Michele Danelon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I am a mechanical designer and I work in Solidworks. I converted stp files into obj and then I rendered it in Dimension, which is very easy and intuitive program.
        It would be very useful to export as obj in Dimension.We could then add obj to video presentation. I actually thought is was possible but apperantly you are still working on? Can you tell me more about this possibility?

• Mathieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a UI Artist working in the video game industry I would love being able to export 3D objects from Dn to game engines like Unity or Unreal Engine 4. Like someone said, I don't have the time to fully dive in learning a 3D package like Maya or 3ds Max but I feel Dimension gets the right learning curve and fits well with my workflow and the things I would like to do with it (like creating 3D rendered icons for the UI). Thanks!

• Fabian Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't know if already suggested:
        Can you make it possible to save/export as .obj-Files so
        people with other 3D-Modelling programs could use
        my 'layout' data to finalize them?

• jmlg12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are you expecting in the obj exported by Dimension that you don't have in the one you import to it?
        Obj/mtl is quite poor to manage material and all you can add in Dimension (textures, decal,...) won't appear in the exported obj (I guess) but if Dimension is able to export glTF/glb or Fbx it could be better.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Initially I assumed that Dimension CC WOULD export 3D obj files that I could pull into After Effects, and was disappointed to learn that it's only exporting 2D images. Allowing it to export .obj files would be a real game-changer in the 3D world!

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my $0.2: PLEASE DO THIS. There is a big market of designers like me who desperately need the ability to work in 3d, but don't have the time/training to dive headlong in to the likes of Maya/Rhino/Cinema4d world. All we've got is Sketch, and the Felix UI is (tens of thousands of times) better than Sketch. Moreover, I have a feeling you could grab a big chunk of the indie game design population overnight if exporting filetypes that are friendly to Unity & Unreal became a feature.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base