Feature Request Details

Place image on model surface

In making a 3d package design... I'd love o be able to drag and drop a jpg or vector art directl onto the surface of my object and be able to move it around, bigger, smaller. If that os an option now I don't understand the process

102 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

In case you haven’t heard… Project Felix is now Adobe Dimension CC! In the latest release (available now) we have some great new features for image placement.

1) When adding images to materials you can tile, rotate, and offset the textures to really customize the looks of the materials.

2) You can now add decals as isolated graphics on top of the material. Decals can be positioned, rotated, and scaled independently of the base material.

There are a few caveats (always at a 1.0) I wanted to let you know about. You can only have one decal per material right now, but we’ll be expanding that in the future. Also, decals are not really designed to wrap 360 around an object. They have a pretty good range, but if you need a full wrap you’ll still need to do some 2D layout in UV space. We’ll be working on more solutions here in the future. I’m going to mark this main topic as done and I’ve seen some new ideas popping up for multiple images, full package wrapping, etc. Please vote and share your own new ideas!

Thank you for your feedback and involvement as worked on these, and especially to those who joined the prerelease group for testing and feedback.

Cheers!
    - Jeanette

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when I import a graphic on to a 3d bottle the edges of the label are blurred. what I am trying to do is look at new labels I have created in Illustrator and look at them on bottles without having to print them which wastes time and money. Also I would like to use these 3d images in advertising and be able to move or spin the bottle any position and pu 3d images behind it in the background. I am importing .png or .jpg , because it only gives me the option for image files, my guess is that because it is not a vector it is blurring the edges when I import the graphic. I have the labels saved as .eps and .ai and .pdf, how do I import these vector files in to Dimension and place them on my 3d bottle which is a .obj file. I would like to clear up the edges so they are not blurred and blending in with the bottle. Please give me instruction or link to a tutorial video that helps with this exact issue. I hope there is just a quick fix you could give me.

• Tim Melis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Philip. It's only possible to add 1 decal per shape. It should at least be possible to add 1 decal per side/surface. When changing an external image, the decal/surface is not updated. It would be very usefull if the decal automatically updates when an external images changes. It should also be easier to wrap a box design around a box shape. Or allow a box shape to be exported as a flat surface design. But to be honest, the first version of Adobe Dimension looks awesome. I Can't wait to version 2.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeanette, thank you so much for your and your team's efforts on Project Felix and what you will be doing on Dimension CC in the future. I look forward to seeing what the project will be doing in the future, and how it will be able to help with my workflow in future projects.
        Keep going! We look forward to seeing what's going to happen! :D

• Philip Rayfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First impressions are that this has moved forward in a big way. Unfortunately I still can't see a way of placing different images on each side of a shape, specifically a cube. Currently I've only found the place decal option which is limited to one image per shape. It's early days though, I'll keep hunting in case it's hidden under another feature!

Ha ha and after all those fun little problems of the past few days and Adobe goes along and changes Felix to Dimension at Adobe Max... Should have seen it coming, they actually had some information on Dimension in Adobe Stock in the 3D section... but my brain was apparently more than a little dead when I saw it.

That's awesome Phillip! Like I said, just adjust the workflow a bit for now, and in the future, we will have it all very easy in Felix :D Have fun with it!

Thank you Jeanette! Very exciting.

Sean, I managed to export my previous 3D work from photoshop as a .obj and re-rendered in Felix. I'm blown away. The render quality in Felix is just amazing. I'm looking forward to leaving photoshop behind and using Felix to build scenes from scratch.

Hey Jeanette, thank you very much for the update! Keep up the good work, Felix is already a good piece of software for a few of our purposes, and with a bit of refining, I am certain that it is going to be amazing! For now, I am doing a bit of a hybrid workflow to make up for the current shortcomings in Felix, but I am certain that eventually I will be able to move over to Felix entirely except on the modeling front, which will be a massive timesaver. Keep it up Project Felix team!

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey all! Glad to hear that you're excited about this feature and thanks for your patience waiting. Unfortunately I can't openly say when new builds will be released or when exactly features will be out. The update is we've been working hard on this and have some great new updates to share with you all very soon. A few months ago I sent out an e-mail to everyone here inviting you to the prerelease to try it out, so lots of progress has been made! I can say this feature will be available very very soon. I'll send a notification to everyone who is subscribed to this idea when it's available (keep an eye on your e-mail, I do mean soon.)

I agree occasional updates would be nice. But as a software dev company, Adobe's employees would be stupid to be surfing the forums constantly, because that would mean stopping dev altogether. I prefer actual app updates instead of forum updates, it makes my life better bit by bit :D

Thanks Sean, it would just be nice to have an occasional update on progress from Admin/Adobe on how things are progressing (nothing since February?). I had previously been building 3D scenes in photoshop to produce client visuals but since seeing the render quality of Felix I've been desperate to make the switch. I'll look into other packages and see if I can just use Felix for rendering.

The good news is Project Felix is still free and still in development, so I wouldn't expect all the features at the moment. However, as soon as V1.00 gets released then I would say this is a feature that needs to be in there. But Phillip, just Google free 3d modeling software and have a look around, there are some amazing options that you can use to create and model what you need, and then just import it into Project Felix so that you can use it's already quite impressive features to make your life easier after modeling. Not ideal, I'll admit, but it got the job done last week when I had a project to complete.

• John Burroughs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to add text/logos to the assets for demoing purposes or content creation

• arturo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, because it will make you able to create your own material to ad to any surface from patterns or samples you create on your imaging tool like photoshop

• Tim Melis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow users to add different images to different surfaces of the same 3D object. For example: Allow users to add a single/different image to each side of the box.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeanette, are there any updates on when this feature will be ready for release? This will change my life when this happens!!

Best wishes,
        Phil

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base