Feature Request Details

Preview UV Map

I'd like to be able to preview the UV Maps of the object and do some changes to the UV map.

12 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christopher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Adobe should buy Cinema4d and incorporate it into the Adobe family. I find the light version included in After Effects is just too limited.

Just my two cents...

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi again Scott! Can you clarify when you say open and edit a texture in Felix? Do you mean having 2D painting, layering, etc directly in Felix? Since we're part of Creative Cloud would an "Edit in Photoshop" possibly give you that same control (if not more)? Is there a reason you'd prefer it in Felix or in Photoshop? Which? Why?

• Scott VanArsdale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Firstly, I think you need to be able to open and edit a texture in felix. Maybe in a format similar to photoshop with layers and smart objects to allow a workflow with illustrator and photoshop. That way we can clearly communicate our ideas through the development of the 3D model. Most designers only care about the Color channel of a material and sometimes the bump channel. The other channels are usually developed by the 3D artist to add realism.

Secondly, I think its important to see the UV map upon opening and editing a texture so you know where a design will lie on the 3D model. Super useful for product design work. I think most of the UVing should be done in the 3D program that the model was created in. However, if there is a strange warping effect in the imported model and a design or texture isn't lining up correctly, it would be nice to be able to fix it in felix and transfer the model back over to the 3D program if needed. Being able to distort the UVs in felix would also give designers the ability to warp a design on a model in stylistic way.

• Scott VanArsdale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to edit your textures within felix or seamlessly with photoshop is incredibly important. I currently have a workflow through photoshop where I make 3D assets and import them into photoshop so designers can design artwork directly onto the the 3D model within photoshop. This process also works seamlessly with illustrator.

Seeing the UV layout of a model is vital for this because the UV information tells the designer exactly where to place their artwork. The UV layout can sometimes even double as a dieline for product rendering (or at least a good start). If the whole idea of felix is to get 3D artists and designers to work together you need to have these forms of communication within the program. (like UVs) Otherwise everyone will probably just keep using photoshop because it has that capability.

• jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May I had some thoughts again?

As Felix is dedicated to people with no specific 3D Skills, it's really important to add advanced features to help creatives work as they need.
    That's why we need an UV editor in Felix and not in Maya, 3DS max or C4D or any advanced 3D package which can make Felix completely useless.

I'm confident that there is a place for Felix if it can embed Very Hi-ENd feature hidden like the Magic wand to select parts of the mesh in order to apply a material even if this part is not in the scene tree.

But these "tools" with very high added value, need to be a little more customizable.
    The "Magic Wand" need to be set more precisely in some case the 3 or 4 basic settings may be fine but if not you don't have option for FineTuning.

In some softaware you can find to UI levels, one for basics, and one advanced for experts...
    Should it be possible to get this kind of UI in Felix?

Many Thanks

• jmlg12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About UV, it could also be valuable in Felix to modify UV Offset, scale and rotation.

for a single mesh, you may want to apply one texture or another but with different size.
    managing this texture size at render time could help iterate faster.

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Felix should expand 3D, for simple 3D you can use what is contained within Photoshop. Felix render engine alone is quite powerful so why not expand on this. Adobe wants to expand on 3D otherwise Felix would not exist today.

• Ares Hovhannesyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we need to keep Fe as simple as we can. Not all users know 3D basic. The experience users can use PS for creating the same projects that can be done in Fe.

We need more 'creative clever features" for Fe.

It would be extremely helpful to have Felix send the UV layout as an image to Photoshop, similar to a communication hub between both software unless the person is using an older version of Photoshop whereas maybe the communication hub won't work then saving the file manually would be needed.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting. Photoshop has a built in UV viewer, so you can already open any .obj file format model as a 3D layer and then turn on the UV view when you open the texture but you think it would be more helpful to have Felix send the UV layout as an image?

Expanded on what Ko mentioned. If the UV map could be sent to Photoshop to communicate that would be beneficial.

I'm extremely comfortable with UV Mapping, having the ability to preview and manipulate the UV by way of a brush or splitting a UV map would be helpful. If you can shade specific parts based on UV you have more control.
    Then again, the ability to create a UV map within Felix would be nice, as an option ?

• Ko Maruyama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it exported cubic UVs would be great. An exported, unwrapped UV view of the model would help texture creation in Ps.

*The model would have to be pretty clean for most people to understand which polygons were being described. Being able to edit a file that had a template layers might be easier.

Feedback and Knowledge Base