Feature Request Details

Import Solidworks 3D File Formats

In my company, product designers usually render from Solidworks, and we have to wait for product samples to complete ad photography.

I was hoping Felix could cut out the middle man, but today I found out that Felix supports no file types Solidworks can export. It kind of defeats the purpose of the program for my role.

If we could support any of these file types (obviously excluding PS, PDF's, and JPEGS). We want this specifically to take prototype models to photography level.

57 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Donnine Canamar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello everyone! Thank you for your votes/comments on adding .more file formats for Dimension. We are actively working on this and near completion on FBX, STL, SKP, and GLTF and are actively working on IGES and other formats. We plan to have some initial formats on our Prerelease soon, and I’ll send another update when that’s ready.

For now, we’re looking for some user files to help our testing process. We have many files from other sources, but user files are the best way to make sure we’ve covered all the possibilities! If any of you have some files you are able to share with us for testing we’d appreciate your contribution!

The files will be used only for the purposes of testing features. They will not be shared, sold, distributed, or used for other purposes.

You can send smaller files directly to tickets@adobedimension.com (<20 MB). If it’s greater, please use a file sharing service like Dropbox, We Share, Google Drive, etc and send a link to tickets@adobedimension.com.

Thank you again for all of your support and involvement!

Jeanette Mathews
    Product Manager

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the other requests for Solidworks support. I have to use Solidworks Visualize (Windows only) and it the interface control is terrible.

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most product designers need to import SolidWorks or Rhino files into render engine. The fact that this program has no option for that means operating in an amateur environment. Would not consider using it till it supports the type of files it needs to.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STL is not a great format for 3d rendering. It doesn't support explicit normals so the smoothing from your solidworks/cad models will be screwed up in the render, depending on the complexity of your surfaces. For basic primitives it doesn't matter that much, but for more complex surface models like vehicles etc you want to retain perfect smoothing. STL is mainly used for 3d printing and CNC where high tesselation is most important.

STEP files is a much better format for cad models. It's a universal format for NURBS/cad models and almost all cad packages can export it. I would prefer STEP format because then you could export from Inventor, Catia, Fusion360, NX, Rhino and Solidworks and render it in Dimension/Project Felix.

FBX format support would also be nice, since this is a common exchange format for games and models used in computer graphics/animation. Unfortunately most CAD packages (Solidworks, Catia, Inventor etc) don't have FBX export built in yet.

• Matthis de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm doing it like this and it works pretty well:

1. Save assembly to STL in seperate files
        2. Open Microsoft 3D builder (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/3d-builder/9wzdncrfj3t6)
        3. Create a new scene
        4. Drag and drop all your STL's into the new scene, it will stay assembled
        5. Save as OBJ-file
        6. Import in Adobe Dimension (Project Felix)
        7. Now you have an folder with the seperate parts fully aligned

Hope this helps some one,

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the comment mads! Project Felix is currently English only and we are working on localization support now. Should be resolved in a future build. Feel free to post these as new ideas/requests in the future.

Just a comment: Scandinavian letters: æøå doesn't seem to be supported in filenames - Felix does nothing when trying to import. Renamed to english letters and problem was solved.

Please do! The reason I installed Felix was to generate photorealistic renders of CAD models. The ability to import STL files would be amazing!

Please accept more file types! If this could work with fusion 360/ solid works/ rhino that would be amazing.

• Kevin Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We design products in SolidWorks and it would be great if we could import SolidWork SLDASM and SLDPRT files. Or STEP Exchange files.

Alternatively support PDF 3D like in Acrobat 9 Pro Extended which we use for preparing 3D content for distribution.

• John Wetzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for easy support of a file format that will export cleanly from solidworks with layers.

I use STL files a lot for 3D printing, and I wanted to try rendering them to see what they'd look like beforehand in Felix. However, Felix doesn't seem to support STL files; only OBJ ones, which are a hassle to convert into and don't even seem to be successfully importing. Since STLs are so widely used for 3D printing and rendering, it'd be really helpful if you could directly import them. Thanks!

is there that ability to add solid works par/ assembaly models? i like what this programs offers but its not much good if i can add my own products in to the sceens. i have ether missed the import option or it isnt there and probably needs to be.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base