Camera Depth of Field

support depth of field in the camera

21 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Simons shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Hello! Project Felix was just renamed and released as Adobe Dimension CC! Really excited to say we did release the Depth of Field effect for adding blur and focus with the camera. A few notes though!

We know it’s really powerful so we wanted to get it out there, but there’s some things missing that we’ll be working on for an update.

1. There is no Depth of Field in the canvas. Please be sure to turn on the Render Preview window in design mode to see the effects.

2. The settings can be very sensitive at large and small scale scenes. We’ll improve this as we add units and better scale handling.

Hope you enjoy and please post follow up feature enhancement requests as new ideas so we can track them!

18 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Devon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeanette, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a day 10 being a year; when is the next release? :D

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to be able to switch the camera between Orthographic & Perspective

• Tiago Miranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bringing this into simple words. Allow the possibility to calculate Gaussian Blur from simulated Depth of Field into the rendered image.

It would be nice to also control the Depth of Field and Zoom as both F-Stop and Focal Length, so that the settings could be used in both these ways:

- Allow people who are used to managing photo and video cameras to understand the settings and change them to what they expect;
    - Match model and background image.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for all the great feedback! @Matt - ;) Yeah I want to invoke natural responses so I like when you guys describe to me as if I know nothing. Helps me get to what you want to accomplish with the feature more than just what it is.

• Paul K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Depth of field would be a camera setting. You could keep it simple by allowing the user to specify the model (of part of a model) which is to be in focus, and then a slider which adjusts the strength of the Depth of field around the object (ie. amount of blur determined by distance between the camera and the focal object along the cameras depth axis ).

• David Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only 3D program that I have used that doesn't have camera parameters: view angle and depth of field. I understand that Adobe is trying to idiot proof this, but having everything in view being tack sharp is not "realistic".

• MarciaFunebre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Important.It is absolutely tedious to create those blurred areas by hand in Photoshop. This would be a bit counter-productive to the initial intention of Felix.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeanette, this is really a basic feature and one that is quite a must-have. If you have a photo/scenery that has a shallow DoF, you need to take it into account to create a convincing composition, otherwise extra 3D content will instantly scream «pasted!» even if lighting matches. Photoshop has a Lens Blur filter but it can't be a replacement for a true depth of field control. Hope that helps (in fact, kind of an odd questions coming from you, guys! :) ).

• Ian Watts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this - to be able to render parts of the 3d model(s) out of focus according to the DOF laws would be awesome. It would allow more creativity when creating renders and composites.

• David Simons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To create more beautiful renderings. One of the sample renderings had nice points of light blooming out in the background, but I guess that was a background image?

Feedback and Knowledge Base