Feature Request Details

Material Transformation (Tile, Rotate, Scale)

How can we create material? How can we adjust the mapping on the material. This is quite necessary for any kind of makeup. I have been a 3D studio max user for a long time, and this software with its own simplicity can easily replace 3D studio max for me.

34 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Excited to say that Project Felix was just announced as V1.0 of Adobe Dimension CC. The newest release has new controls for Material scale, rotate, and offset, as well as the new Decal feature for adding images on top of the base material.

Please post additional enhancement requests as new ideas so we can begin tracking the status. Don’t forget to search and vote!

23 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Erdem Erduvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi...

is there any way to edit decal repeat option??? because when you add a decal it is repeating all faces of the object.... but I need to see it only one face which is I selected...

Why I need this: I design a desk and I need to put customer's logo on front face... but when I add decal İt is applying to whole faces...

texture controls must be added to decals too if they are not exist...
    and one decal limitation must be increase...

• Paul Mecomber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently there seems to be no way to modify the texture maps of the materials on objects. Obviously this is an absolute must for designers who need do precise things with the images. I am an architect and it is especially true in our field.

Among the very common types of mapping are box mapping, cylindrical mapping, spherical mapping, plannar mapping, and camera based mapping. One would hope though, given the integration with the rest of CC that a more sophisticated UV editing environment would be set up - where an unwrapped UV image could be modified within Photoshop, saved in CC libraries, and then applied (possibly even linked directly). This would give us full artistic control over the appearance of the material.

In addition - it would be good if the same setup were made available for the image based lighting. I would like to see a setup where on one monitor i have photoshop open, modifying an image based light - hit save, and then on the other monitor with Felix open that image based light changes and my scene is automatically updated (or a prompt to update pops up).

Thanks - hopefully these features are added as I feel like Felix could be a truly robust work environment instead of a novelty "quick" 3d image maker.

• Mitchel Heslop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the material options of an assigned material, there needs to be adjustable settings for the scale of the mapping. For example, Brick mapping should be customizable to what size of mapping is desired.

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Materials are great, but it would be very nice to have the chance to have something like a material/texture brush. Something like some features of Ps in 3D mode. A mapping feature is a must. It could be something like the Moving Symbol Brush in Ai, where you can give symbols the direction you want by just painting over them (if you are thinking in designers and not in 3d Artists). Also in Ps, when you use the stamp tool you have an options panel where you can rotate the sample.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the specificity! It's an interesting conversation for sure. UV space is 0 to 1, as you said, and the 'units' are generally quite arbitrary and they can differ greatly from the models size/shape.

For example you can have a perfectly square cube model but the UVs can be distorted to be a long rectangular shape.

Would it be more useful for you to know the units of the surface and apply the texture within those constraints?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

• The ability to select and edit multiple materials of an object at once

• Additional lighting functionality, i.e. infinite, spot, and pin lightings.

To be more precise about this topic, it should be nice to be able to scale, or to assign 'Unit' to the texture. In our industry, products have a "physical size" in mm, and the textures also.
    It's really more comfortable when texture apply at scale 1:1.
    But sometimes UV space is limited to 0 to 1 so the real size is more difficult to determine.

On the other hand, beside the "size" in U and V, the rotation and the offset in U and V are also mandatory

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great feedback everyone. :) @David Nikel - can you explain what you'd want to do with the alpha channels. I've used them myself often, but curious in what way you'd like to see them supported.

For #4 - you can currently input a texture to each channel of the material (color, roughness, etc.). Does that answer what you meant there? Or do you mean something else when you say link?

• David Nikel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - texture mapping controls are a must.

1, I would want to be able to choose between , Tri-planar, Planar, Cylindrical and UV.
    2. Support for alpha channel of in a texture would also be a must have.
    3. repeat, offset and rotation direction orientation in XYZ
    4. The option to link textures within a material ( base color, roughness, metallic, normal...etc.)

Ability to change direction, angle, position, or pattern of applied materials on an object. For example. I want the wood grain to run vertically up and down the banana and not horizontally.

• jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there any way to scale the textures in a shader? when UV's are generated it could be valuable to be able to modify the repeat factor and the orientation of the texture, to get the optimal result.
    Many Thanks

• jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess that for some parametric materials, it should be valuable to add some controls. (here to rotate the wood vein)

• Dave Teich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was #1 on my feature request list...control over mapping. Even in the podcast (Terry White) it looks as if getting a map to position correctly is a matter of guesswork. I don't know how much to expect here, but I'd like to see move/scale/rotation tools that work on the map only.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base