Feature Request Details

Import / Add Custom Items to Assets

So far, so good! It would be nice to have the import / add models UI also included in the models modal.

27 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I can't believe this isn't a feature!?" - no, it is now and it's very anoing :P But I belive they will fix it <3 Still waiting...

I can't believe this isn't a feature!? If you've perfected an object in one scene is there noway to copy and paste this into another scene?

• Kelsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I downloaded adobe asset 3d models how on earth do I get them into my dimension? Also when I click the enable adobe cloud sync nothing happens and won't sync.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Chris. You can add assets from Stock to your CC Libraries directly on the Stock website or from the CC Libraries in-app Stock search. This topic is more about adding custom assets directly to the Assets panel (different than the Libraries panel). The workflow you've added is available but I agree the interface needs some work!

• Chris Bridgeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely if I buy an asset from adobe it should appear in a library to use, surely thats not a difficult concept to address, instead I download the 3D element folders and textures then can't add them to cloud. Crazily bad unintuitive interface.

• Chelsi Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a composition for a 3D GUI that i've perfected the lighting in. Unfortunately I can't save my background and hence lighting unless I continue opening the same file and add to it. Can you please add this feature?

Continually updating, modifying or re-saving the file with a different name or revision uses up valuable space on the computer.

It would be nice to add your personal items to the assets panel.

If keeping the assets that Adobe provides then perhaps creating a "personal" items folder/tab would do the trick.

VUE Infinite 3D does this and it's a fabulous way to always be able to access your assets without the need to create individual files.

The images i've uploaded shows how VUE approaches the situation. They call their component that deals with Lighting "atmospheres".

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey!

Is there really no option transfer models from one Dimension file to another?

Thanks

It would be nice if next update could give us possibility to add permanently 3d models to the library using menu panel. Just like shapes or brushes in PS.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tim

Sure! Dimension partnered with Chaos Group and licensed the V-Ray rendering engine for use inside of Dimension CC. It's been used in Dimension since our first beta under Project Felix title and we've worked with Chaos Group closely to improve performance and implementation within Dimension over the past few years. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

• tim bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Jeanette.
        Also, on Adobe Dimension's New Features page is mentioned a partnership with Choas Group to integrate Vray into Dimension? DO you have any info on this?

thanks-

The File > Import Material option is for full material packages and currently we only accept the Adobe Standard Material version of .mdl files. You can get these from Adobe Stock or export them from Allegorithmic Substance Painter & Designer.

If you have .jpg/.png textures you want to use, you can load those directly into the existing materials.
        - Load your object
        - Use one of the material presets like matte, plastic, or wood
        - In the properties panel add the textures into the appropriate slots (color, roughness, metallic, normal, etc.)
        - Adjust the properties as necessary

• tim bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi-

Is there a way to import materials I have (files are JPEGs) and I use them with 3Ds Max/VRay). I'd like to use some of these JPGs as assets in Dimension.
        BTW- This is for a class I'm teaching- introducing Photography majors to 3D rendering- program seems like a nice way to get into the concepts.

• Lt. Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree it would be very useful and increase the value of this app to have the ability to include custom models, lights, and especially materials available via the Assets panel.

@Larry, to answer your questions.

1 . Dimension can import images as a background image or as a texture to place onto a model but...
        2. ... It cannot take a 2D image and convert it into a 3D model. Here's a great 3 min video on what you can do in Dimension that's a nice starter point! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHeOapHexbE
        3. Please see the 3D section of the Photoshop User Guide for details on how to create 3D models in Photoshop. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/user-guide.html?topic=/photoshop/morehelp/3d.ug.js . Models created in Photoshop can be exported as an .obj then imported to Dimension to render.

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we import images into Adobe Dimension?
        Second question
        If I import (for example) a bottle, can Adobe Dimension render this into a 3D object?
        Question 3
        Are there instructions on HOW TO create 3D objects (eg Photoshop CC)?
        If not, why not

• Tracy Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a product that I use that I would like to be able to add to the assets panel. It is the shape of a round closet divider with a raised edge. I have tried to add it from Illustrator but I can't figure it out. How would I transfer a vector image with an extruded edge as a 3D object?

• Matt McSherry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to take a model from one file and add it to another. Either a quick Copy/Paste option or the ability to export a group as an obj would be great. Actually, it would be essential.

Also it would be lovely to copy/paste Material instances, like you can copy/paste layer styles in Photoshop.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base