Feature Request Details

114 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it had the ability to create models I could use it in the company I work for. Currently I'm using an Esko plug in, which is great but can only do cylinder shapes. Thats ok because we manufacture paper coffee cups and ice cream packaging. We also have a screen printing bottle plant. The problem arises when we have irregular shaped packaging. I made a model using "Blender" but it was fractured when I brought it into AD.

• Rob Masek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

has anyone mentioned being able to customize the shape of the objects? oh, they have? okay, then yeah, that.

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be really nice to be able to create and then insert custom models. Would be really nice if there was a plugin for Fusion360. Or even being able to mimic (or better yet, use) Illustrator's extrusion feature. I really feel like this software could be helpful my company, but not at present because it can't do any of the work we do. :( Really, if nothing else, the ability to create custom models.

• Design GDMA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with most of the comments here about Dimensions.

In principle it is very good, mainly because it is so easy to use and get around, plus as you'd expect, it integrates well with its sister software.

As a Graphic Packaging Designer I can see its future potential once it allows you to change/reshape existing models. Bringing in a model from stock or using one of the existing default ones is a good start, however clients will always require something bespoke. So having the ability to alter models and their component parts is the next ESSENTIAL step for Dimensions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love the program but I would definitely consider adding this feature of editing or creating custom models

• MArk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to intergate an Illustration file directly into Dimensions. Essentailly coping that of the boxshot program origami which will produce a render of the flat artwork. Its a great little program, but the rendering is very limited.

• Jakub Straka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drawing/Creating 3D objects from scratch is an alchemy, but I can imagine it being doable in Dimensions. The real challenge is to make it easy, fast and understandable. Otherwise library is good, but perhaps more relevant assets would fit better or at least make them more accessible so I don't have to pay for Adobe Stock if I want to make a 3D scene for graphic designers (not only for product promotions and branding ideas as that's my main impression right now)

• MixedMerch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others have said... Dimension would be great if it you could create/modify models even a little bit. Best yet would be to be able to import SketchUp. SketchUp's modeling is severely lacking what Dimension can deliver, and vice versa. Overall, really cool idea, but somewhat useless now - hasn't quite found it's place in my workflow.
    - More rendering options (resolution, size, etc)
    - Easy import of SketchUp models
    - SketchUp models that react well to Dimension's material mapping.

• Matthew Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the existing primitives could be combined/intersected/excluded it would be a start, but what I really want to do is extrude or revolve a simple "plan" shape – like in Illustrator... only in a way that works reliably!

• Mr. Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Loving this program, easy to use, but as others have stated, we need way more container options. For instance, different vitamin bottle containers of varying sizes, with varying types of lids. That would be really helpful for e commerce companies in the health industry.

Also, if you could add a batch feature for the rendering process, its time consuming on integrated graphics, and would be nice to prep a bunch of files and then render them all at once at night. Would increase productivity big time if you added a batch render feature.

• Aaron Tipton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3D is kinda there in AI and PS already, but it's not powerful enough. See others comments (David Wickstead), he's right on target. Containers are a HUGE segment of our work. Just think about the percentage of products in a grocery store that come in bottles, cans, jars, etc. 90% of those would only need a simple profile editor, not even full 3D editing. Think about simple tools to edit details like the grips on lids for small bottles or jars. You should should even be thinking about the shrink wrapped seals and the printing on those. This shouldn't be a full 3D editor, just focus on the 95% of packaging we could render as boxes, bottles, jars, cans, etc. Those could all be done within Dimensions with some basic tools. The other 5% needing full 3D modelling should be a different tool.

• Vanessa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possibility to modify some basic element, like for example I need to create a rectangle who end with a triangle (see attached)

• Clyde D'souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add 3D modelling into Dimension just like you would do in AutoCAD and Sketchup rather than just using ready made models from libraries.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base