• facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still "under review"? This should be done by now

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Text is the most common of lower level average 3D. It should've already been in the software from the getgo. I've seen it in 20 year old software.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow extrusions and bevels on live text!!! If i get late in the game on a render and the creative director decides on a different font please done make me make a model of the text in photoshop (my skill level) to export to 3d obj... to open in Dimension to render and take back to photoshop for final edits. Let me just change the font in Dimension and render and update link in Photoshop

But the options were: text box input with font type and style, letter spacing, bevel type and depth and extrude depth, text alignment choices such as arc down, arc up, a horizontal circle, vertical circle, and diagonal alignments, path spacing, texture application and the option to give each letter its own material or to split into front, bevel, and side materials, and it had an animation selector, as the program had stock animation properties. When finished, the wizard creates your text as an .obj and places it in the scene.

I have screenshots of the options from Simply 3D. I don't see a way to upload or add images to this post, though.

• Chelsi Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add some screenshots of options for this feature. I'll try to list them all. Let me know if you would like me to send screenshots or post so that you can add to this feature request.

parameters:
        Text Options:
        input field to type text.
        approximate size in Dn units
        horizontal spacing
        vertical spacing
        text style (font drop down list, style drop down list)
        Vector graphic import (ie: text, logos, simple vector objects in illustrator pulled in)

Bevel Options:
        Width & Depth sliders
        Check box options: Cap bevel, Bevel Rear, Bevel in, bevel out
        Bevel Profile: Straight, rounded, rising, digging, extruded, etched
        Inner bevel profile : same options as above

Extrusion options:
        Length slider
        amplitude slider
        Check box options: Scaled Extrusion, beveled extrusion, symmetrical extrusion
        Extrusion Profile options: flat, growing, shrinking, rounded concave, custom

Materials Options
        "Caps" - Front with check box "rear same as front"
        "Extrusion" - Exterior with checkbox "interior same as exterior.
        If checkboxes aren't ticked provide two more selections for Front bevel and rear bevel

Create each letter independently but auto grouped. If the user ungroups them the text used to create them is no longer editable.

For instance if I type the word congrats, but really need it to say "congratulations". I can only modify the text string if I haven't ungrouped the letters contained within the word.

A feature that generates 3D objects from text would be greatly benficial. Simply 3D had this feature. It would open a text prompt, allow for bevel, extrusion, letter spacing and orientation, font choice and material application. It would then add an object to the scene based on the settings. It was amazing for creating logos.

So surprised it doesn't have this.... Please add 3D extrude with at least simple bevel options.

• Rough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur - flat text as decal as it ought be quick to implement, but ultimately also text rendered as object.

• alexandre becquet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I think it would be possible to play with simple text like Decals, which would add information or other, and why not once finished being able to put the "created" in the library and use it as Shift. The ability to apply a style can be a good thing, since it is available for other software in libraries.
        then the possibility to extrude text is also something that would be great to set up scenes or put in situation of products or prototypes of packaging.

• Durward Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not either/or, both 3D and flat text are necessary to create the kind content Dimension is aimed at; however, start with 3D text because flat text can be done as a decal. Ultimately, you need good flat text tools because who wants to make round trips to other apps to edit text (your competition doesn't require this) and you need to be able to scale it without getting resolution and aliasing problems. Also, you need to be able to see and edit the text in its final context so you can format it to work with the angles, shadows, and shapes in the scene.

• Harald Gutmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a 3d text tool would be great to add some text into the composition.
        Also more render options would be really usefull e.g. dpi, size/resolution

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll chime in as well. Having used 3D apps for a long time, I would say that a 3D text tool is paramount. Yes, Photoshop has one, but casting shadows, using the same textures, etc. in Dimensions seems like a no-brainer for the next version.

• Rich Matheson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely think a 3d-extruded text tool is a must, but some type of "type on a 3d path" tool would be necessary as well. I mean sure, an arc of 3d text is sweet, but it's so DONE. I'd like to be able to customize the flow of text, say, around and between the 3d models, or going behind them and peeking out (imagine a transparent jar distorting the 3d text behind it... squeeee). Character and paragraph styling would be nice, of course, but I'd probably settle for just the base functionality for now.

OOH, and I just read that we can't import vectors... that's another biggie! Maybe your 3d engine could do a better and faster job of it than Illustrator's?

• Scott Wise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a phenomenal addition for sign design industry professionals for sure! Much needed.

• Sean Rowley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just opened Dimension for the first time. Is there really no 3D type tool? Seems like a glaring omission.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base