Feature Request Details

Align Objects in 3D

While creating 3D sculptures, I would love the option to align the different shapes (centered/External sides...) based on space or between objects.

28 votes
Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nathalie Chikhi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Hey everyone! Jeanette from Dimension here. Excited to say we’ve started some work on alignment and distribution features for Dimension. I wanted to quickly ask what is your TOP alignment need:

- Moving objects next to other objects and touching?
- General alignment and distribution for even spacing?
- Something else?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

16 comments

Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looking to align objects so if I am building a "fake" box, I can place the insert inside the outer box and add the plastic window

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dimension has a few methods for importing:

If you import using File > Import menu, then the object is always placed at (0,0,0) which is the center of the world. If you've moved your camera away from that view then it can be out of your current view. We plan to update this so it loads into the center of your current view at least.

The other method for importing is to just drag-n-drop directly into the canvas. This will load the model wherever you drop it. Until we update the import behaviour I'd try doing drag-n-drop!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why does dimension import one object in a certain spot then import another object miles away? then it is impossible to align them? I am wasting so much time trying to locate the second object i imported and trying to drag it next to the to the other. What a disaster!

• Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want so be able to stack objects in layers in perfect alignment and equal size. Imagine a product container with a base in clear acrylic, body in white plastic, decorative rim in brushed stainless steel and a translucent cap. Each layer would need to be manipulated then grouped together as if one unit.

• Chelsi Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The attached screenshots are an alignment tool that I use in my preferred 3D software that would be handy for Dimension since there aren't multiple viewports at present.

This helps those of us that find we change camera angles, lighting, and overall composition often. Currently the only way to have an item placed in the exact same spot as one already in the scene is to manually type in the x,y,z coordinates. :)

The screenshot flow is as follows.
    1. Click on the object in the scene that you wish to align to.
    2. Shift+ left click the second item you want to move.
    3. Go to Edit>Alignment Tool
    4. In the pop-up tick the box that says "keep first object in place"
    5. Check the appropriate boxes to align your secondary object in relation to the first object you selected.
    As you check the boxes the object immediately moves in relation to your selection so that you can change your choice if you inadvertently make an incorrect selection.
    6. Close the alignment tool out by clicking on the x, until you do so you cannot interact with the rest of the software UI.

Thanks bunches Jeanette! Please let me know if you have questions in how this tool works I'll be happy to help!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Non c'è la possibilità di allineare oggetti in un programma 3d? mi pare davvero una mancanza non da poco.

• Jeff Korzeniowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Diab, the alignment tools would be a great addition.. I use another 3D package that is missing them as well and its not my preferred program to manipulate objects because of it. The ability to alight with first selected object in all ways.. alight center top left right bottom, the align tools would also need to align to the object as a solid (aligning to outside object edges) as well as align to object location.. (would place in same location allowing overlaps)

• Diab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started trying the program and right away, the align tools present in more or less every Adobe design program are missing!

For example, I decided to start with creating a table. I put down a cylinder as the base and a cube with a low height as the tabletop. I raised the cube in the air to drop it on top of the cylinder, but because there are no align tools, I had to copy/paste the x/z position of the cylinder to the tabletop. If I could select both objects and go align to center of objects or key object, that would be awesome!

Feedback and Knowledge Base