Feature Request Details

.dae support

It seems like i can, but when i choose the file i want to import and click open it never apears.

11 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom-Kenneth Amdal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tamera Roberson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.Dae and Collada please. Just prepaid a year for this suite, so I'd really like that function/feature please :)

• Franck Payen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Main reason for .dae is that it's a format exported directly from Photoshop's 3D files with a few practical options as export plane or object only.

• Tom Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would like support for .dae or better yet, direct import from Sketchup Make. Only Sketchup Pro is able to export .obj files.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cant import .dea files!
    using mac updated.
    i click on file from import models but ... nothing import in the felix.

• Vance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect the only reason people really want .dae file import is because that is the file type that people can export from the FREE version of Sketchup. The sketchup warehouse has a huge library of models freely available for direct import into sketchup. People want to pull those models out of sketchup to use in their renders.

FBX is great. I use it to go between C4D, Modo, Fusion, and Maxwell Render and it's pretty seamless.

Step import would be awesome for working with CAD products. Of course, at this point, you basically are only developing a "quick and easy" interface for Vray, which can already do all of this...

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we are an ingestion app, so we plan to support all the major file formats in time. DAE is a good format but it's wildly inconsistent between authors and platforms. We kind of hate DAE too. ;) That's why we made .ASD as both our file format and object format. Because each format has it's own prerequisites for support, it's best if you post each file format you'd be interested in as an idea or vote on the existing ones (IE, .dae, .fbx, .step, .stl). That way we can track interest in each type.

• Tiago Miranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate DAE's. I'd prefer a direct import from a SketchUp, Inventor, Catia or SolidWorks file like 3dsMax currently does, rather than using DAE's, OBJ's or 3DS's.

• Ussnorway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"At the moment we only support .obj file import."

thats a bugger but thanks for the heads up... is the fact that other file types are in the list a hint that they are being worked on Jeanette?

• Larry Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a 3d image of my dog from an iphone photograph. I rendered the layer in Photoshop, exported as 3d layer as a dae file.

I opened Felix and chose import 3d model from the file menu. Nothing appeared in the design window or in assets and no error message was displayed. I also tried drag and drop of the dae and got the same result. Refer to the attached screen shots.

Feedback and Knowledge Base