Feature Request Details

Control Presets for Other 3D Software

The first thing you want to do when you get into a new 3D app, is learn to move around. It's the thing you actually do the most.

I feel like every time I go into a new 3D package every one is always trying to make you conform to their new controle system... I think that you should have the ability to manuver with the same controles from your most familiar package.

Cinema 4d
Maya
Max
Blender

Blender actually has this feature, and I always choose Maya controles...

Back when before it was Autodesk Maya and it was still Alias Wave front Maya... they surveyed thousands of users to create the most precise fluid intuiative controle system.

Anyway all I'm saying is, that faster a user learns the faster they adopt your system, and if there is one less thing to learn... the better...

Since controling the envirement is the first thing you need to do... You should respect that 3D people love 3D apps, and most of them will be coming from other applications.

Much Love!

- E

20 votes
Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter Pokorny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that the target group of users are not 3d artists, but I think it would be good if you add common 3d-like-navigation:
    ALT+left mouse button=rotate
    ALT+middle mb=pan
    ALT+right mb=zoom
    actual navigation of the program can still exist.

• Maarten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to move around with my mouse just like Cinema 4D, sketchup etc.

orbit= press and hold mouse wheel
    hand= press and hold mouse wheel and left click

• Steve Talkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeanette! Are you familiar with Maya-style navigation? A key modifier (option/alt) that will work alongside the three mouse buttons to navigate around your scene. alt left mouse button will tumble the view, alt middle mouse button will move or track the view, and alt right mouse button will allow you to zoom into the view. This is pretty much the standard for 3d navigation. Those of us 3D pros using Wacom tablets/Cintiqs tend to map our pen's back rocker switch to Middle Click, and we're off to the races. It's very unintuitive and breaks workflow having to go up to three different icons outside your workspace to do simple 3d navigation.

• Steve Talkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello! This was my feature request. :) I'm a die-hard KeyShot user and was intrigued by the VRay renderer included. Interested in more under-the-hood settings VS the dumbed down one-click solution. Also, what PBR maps/workflow is the preference of choice?

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Steven - just click the "Vote" button on the top-left if you're viewing on the website. You can also vote in the Project Felix feedback panel inside the application (the comment icon in the top right). Comments are great though! Thanks for posting your thoughts here for others to see!

• Steven sheldon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I vote because I said pretty much the same precise thing like the w.e.r format for rotating scaling and positioning, and while although it maybe great for Adobe users who haven't used a 3d program before, for others who have, it becomes an annoying learning curve. Don't reinvent the wheel is all I stress

• Albert Goh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow options for users to choose preferred 3D scene navigation using mouse/key strokes from Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3dsMax, Cinema 4D, Zbrush etc.

To flatten learning curve of existing 3D professionals and increase adoption

• Skylar Sorensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In other 3d apps, you can hold opt/alt with combination of mouse to move about the scene. This is incredibly helpful, and allows for quick movements around the scene without having to look down at the keyboard.

Feedback and Knowledge Base