Feature Request Details

.fbx file import capability

I like the idea of using this application to create quick conceptuals from rough block outs of geometry from an outside 3D program. Throw on some shaders, quick HDRI from selection and render. Not sure if we can import custom obj or fbx from outside 3D programs such as Maya? Very limited if we can only use adobe stock.

Also would like to know how to delete materials from the document panel.
Just don't like seeing materials stack up if they aren't being used like useless junk layers.

Nifty idea here though if further refined! Hope it can use it to help speed up the conceptual phase as well as create nice looking static shots from time to time.

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that we’ve started work on supporting more file formats. We won’t be able to address all of them at the same time. Our initial new formats we’re looking to support will be:

.fbx
    .step
    .iges
    .stl

When these are available on prerelease I will post an update here with an invitation for you to come try it out! Thank you for the feedback!

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be valuable to have both Import and export file in FBX format.
        with some smart options like baking textures in one single file by channel and embedding tehm in the FBX file.

On the other hand as 3D file format, import and export PSD files "with the 3D" (not only export the render) could also be valuable...

• Ussnorway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see a .fbx file happening any time soon but I assume you could import your (fuse made?) model as a .dae file for simple concept testing

Feedback and Knowledge Base