Feature Request Details

Cloud Rendering

option to process final renders in the 'cloud', render images on external servers not on local machine. this would be a dream for all those not carrying around monster laptops or able to waste hours watching pixels grow.

23 votes
Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Hello all! Today (April 2, 2019) Dimension 2.2 released and provides free cloud rendering for all users! This is a free beta and we are still testing things so it has some limitations.

Each user will receive 15 credits per month. Credits refresh on the first of each calendar month. You cannot purchase additional credits at this time.

Renders consume credits based on quality (low: 1, medium: 2, high: 3). So you can do 5-15 cloud renders for free per month.

Renders are limited to 2000 × 2000 pixels size for cloud rendering.

This is just for the beta period and we plan to change as we get feedback from everyone about this feature. There is a survey about the feature that will appear in the application and you can reach it here: http://www.adobe.com/go/dimension-cloud-render-survey

We’re very much looking forward to everyones feedback on this beta!

25 comments

Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lu Heaney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The rendering on my local machine has slowed considerably since the Cloud BETA option was added with the most recent update of Dimension. I prefer the prior version but it now has "glitches" when I try to use it.

• Andreas Geiermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I have a question. I generally enjoyed using Dimensions Cloud Render, but there seems to be a problem with refreshing credits. They just don't at the start of the month. Am I doing something wrong or did I understand something incorrectly?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want and hope Adobe keeps working on this. Wish Adobe would just replicate Bryce software from 20 years ago. I keep hoping. Dn is about 10% as good as Bryce.
    Hard to tell if it is rendering or not...? 2000 X 2000 px is small. If it is rendering, it is slllooooooow!
    Hire a UI/UX designer....soon.

• Luís Camacho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The scene I rendered had two boxes from the Starter Assets, side by side, with decals in each face.

But there's nothing to test really. Just take one (1) box from the Starter Assets, add one decal from the Starter Assets too if you want. Render it and sure enough, 10 minutes to render. If it were two boxes with shadows interacting it would have been 20 minutes. I'm using the High quality render setting and the file uploading only took a few seconds.

The point is not if 20 minutes seems a long time, or 10 minutes. The point is a free software renders the same thing in literal seconds using nothing other than my relatively cheap graphics card. No clouds, no credits. Also this credits thing opens the door to 'pay per render' micro transactions. Let's not go that way please. Thanks!

• Zorana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cloud renders will continue if you close Dn application. Bulk of render time right now is attributed to uploading your image. Eventually we would like to add ability to just have your scenes syncing to the cloud so that when you render, you don't have to pay this cost. 20 minutes does seem like a long time - are the renders actually completing? Would love to run some tests on the image you're doing if you are able to send me your scene or a version of it to zorana@adobe.com. Thank you.

Err... I just tested the cloud rendering feature... it still takes 20 minutes to render a simple image! It just does it offsite! By the way, it's not even clear if I can close the Dimension app and the render will continue in the cloud. What was the point of this feature???

The main issue of slow rendering is that it's slow! A fast rendering solution is needed to work with client requests!

I'll give you an example of a workflow I'm doing with a client I'm working with right now. I'm doing designs for about 20 take out pails, the client and his partners can and do ask for revisions to these designs all the time. Some times they ask for changes in just a couple, other times they have a batch of feedback that changes all the pails. I'm supposed to do these changes and send them revised images.

Of these 20 only about 5 or so are chosen to be taken into production. The rest are discarded. Well, at 20 minutes per render, revisions to the 20 pails would take almost 7 hours to render, even in the cloud! WHAT??

Here's my actual workflow for this project, for all the WIP designs are rendered using Blender's Eevee real time engine. This outputs renders realistic enough, and with almost no noise, to be usable for these revisions. Those renders take about 6 seconds (!) for a 1500x1000 image.

For pails that go into production I'll use Blender's Cycles engine to output images with physics based shadows, reflections, and a transparent background with shadows (ie shadow catcher ground plane). Those images take 45 seconds to render.

This level of speed enables me to quickly respond to client requests, and easily send them revisions without having to worry about time constrains. Eevee outputs all 20 pail renders in 2 minutes, Dimension even with cloud rendering takes 7 hours. The choice is easy...

Thanks for the cloud rendering update, I guess it will help if I ever find myself with the need of rendering something on the go. But for general use? No thanks. GPU render please!

Nvidia recently announced that it will bring it's real time ray tracing tech to older graphic card, including my own GeForce 1060. All the more reason to focus on getting GPU supported. I also see in the release notes that support for external rendering engines is being considered. It should be added immediately, there's good free render engines out there (Cycles, ProRender) that would solve this issue.

Thanks!

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on the cloud based rendering? i heard it was expected in the new release? i am trying the beta links but they all say they've been shut down. I want to see how fast my file would render on a more optimized machine

• Alassane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought the cloud rendering feature would be rolled out with the new Adobe Dimension release today with Creative Cloud 2019...

Am i missing something?

• Rough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you insist on CPU-only rendering? I don't want cloud rendering, I have monster GPU, all I need is your 3d application to support it, like any other respectable 3d applications do from the outset and since 2000.

• AirWrecka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to request that the cloud rendering not stop at 100% and then fail. I've had it happen to 4 different renderings in the past two days doing a low resolution render. It's quite frustrating to say the least.

• Ussnorway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Aubry,
    I assume you have a Windows system so fyi the update Dimension button on the Adobe CC app is giving you a fake message... do not press update if you have the prerelease installed because it places the public version instead and often also buggers up your files mate

• Aubry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently updated Dimension & I don't have access to cloud rendering anymore ... & I really need it ... is it a way to download beta version somewhere ? Many thanks !

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bryan

We'll be adding PSD download to cloud rendering directly very soon. There's no very simple way to adjust the shadows alone without cropping them out of the main image and adjusting as a separate layer (which is much easier with the PSD selection layers). We hope to have a new build for you guys on the Prerelease in the next few weeks which will include the PSD export and some new functionality.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cloud rendering is a life saver, but since there is no PSD option I have been turning off the background then rendering a PNG and composing them in photoshop.

However, the shadows come up substantially darker that way compared to locally rendering a PSD. Is there any way to fix this? Or at least some way to adjust in photoshop?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base