Feature Request Details

Directly input dimensions of an object

I have a book cover that is 6x9x.75. It would be ideal to have the ability to input dimensions rather than scale.

The ability to select units would be great, but to begin simply making it proportional would make it functional.

74 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wade shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello all. Units and dimensions are something that are very important, and we’re looking at getting some initial feedback on this topic. We have a brief survey and are also looking for a few people willing to do an interview. In exchange we’ll provide an Amazon gift card to the interviewees. If you’re interested please start by taking the following survey and we’ll notify those who are selected for the interview portion.

https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/surveys/JA3D2M/

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent 40mins trying to work out where the dims are... non-existent! Adobe, you let me down

• Patrick Jackanich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would you create a product literally called Dimension and not allow your customers to enter actual Dimensions???

• Dan Czon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeanette Mathews, FYI the plane idea didn't work, can't elevate it...
        I would have to agree with everyone on this subject. Need to be able to enter dimensions in Dimension.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, dimension for our company is not useful as long as we can not create objects in millimeters and inches. The renderings have to be realistic, absolutely, also in proportions. The scale is not very helpful, we go blind with it.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to enter dimensions of an object in a program called dimension?

I design custom displays and would love to be able to do with an adobe product.
        I like the simplicity of this program, it reminds me of a mix between Sketchup and Strata.

• shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using stock models of packagings, I want to be able to transform the simple cube to exact dimensions instead of percentages. This makes it easier to prototype different size variations. The units can be in mm, or pixels.

• Gabriele Favara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How a unit point in dimension compares to cm dimension? Example, could it be 1 point equal to 1 cm? Please help

Did you really call a new product/packaging design software "Dimension CC" and the very first feature it is lacking is... Dimensions ? -_-'

How can I create a model that looks anything like what my client wants then???

• Stevo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to modify a box size... with the packaging we have done... but you guys don't have it....

It seems like Live Context is the better choice made more than 5 years ago. But it's buggy.

I guess I can stop looking. This tool is useless without being able to set the size of an object...

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Mark you could do that today with the existing plane primitive since it's an exact square. Just set the scale to 11x, 1y, 17z and then rotate the plane as necessary. This technique would only work on models like the plane, cube, and sphere, which are perfectly equal on each side. We do plan to have dimension and unit control in the future!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a plane that represents an 11x17 piece of paper so that my drawing will fit appropriately. If there is no concept of scale in the tool, then at least let us easily set ratios. 11:17

• Daniel Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same question here, I work on package design and exact dimensions are extremely necessary. There is no way to to be sure if my design will look as I see if I can't create the objects with real dimensions.

• Jill B Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working on package designs and find the features in Adobe Dimension much easier to use than the limited 3D bevel and extrude features in Adobe Illustrator. However, Adobe Dimension needs additional features to make it useful for package design. For instance, I need to be able to input specific dimensions or proportions, say, a box that is 12 x 7 x 7 inches. I also need the ability to apply different "decals" or "symbols"--complete graphics panels--to each side of the box.
        I would love to be interviewed about future product features.

I'd like to be able to specify exact dimensions of objects, is that any way to do that?

• Stephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any update towards getting to enter exact dimensions? This is an app I'd use pretty much daily, but can't yet because of this simple missing feature.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to add the possibility to type in measurements for a box, so you know it has the correct ratio? I don't see that anywhere today. Thanks :-)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base