Feature Request Details

Import SketchUp .skp model format

Love to be able to import SketchUp created models into Felix directly, without needing to convert them into .obj

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot add texture for example png on sketchup model. It'd "added" but not visible. :(

• Alex Nasonov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortumately there is a bug - if I place an image on a model, imported from Sketchup it is invisible and nothing helps((

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the idea is that SketchUp files could be imported directly into Dimension CC, not through obj format.

• F Cardenas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for responding. I ended up purchasing Maxwell Render so personally not an issue for me anymore. I still think it'd be great for Adobe to keeping pushing down this general direction. After all, 3d, Augmented Realty (AR) and (Virtual Reality) VR media will growing by leaps and bounds. For customers that don't need hardcore rendering, I think Dimensions is a wonderful tool. One word of advice when it comes to working with SketchUp. Having a plugin directly built into SU (like Maxwell and VRay) greatly improves the workflow vs manual export and import. Saves a ton of time! I appreciate the simplicity of Dimensions but one of the most frustrating things for me was not being able to adjust lighting. No way to control light emitters, or natural lighting say from the sun.

• F Cardenas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would like to see this functionality too. I export from SU, to obj then import into Photoshop to render and finalize but like usability of Dimensions better for working with 3d models. The materials and rendering seem much easier to use, plus Vray is hands down a better render engine. For some reason though, I can't import large detailed models created Sketch Up into Dimensions, even though the same .obj file works fine when used in Photoshop. Using Photoshop CC 2018.

• Thom @ GoTiny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another +1 for direct import of .skp files. Huge add-on for Adobe CC if available as 3rd party tools -- whether plug-ins for SU or via import into external rendering software -- are both clunky (and/or expensive) solutions. Modeling in SU with ability to render in Dimension would be a big-big advantage.

Additionally, import and adjustment of SU models into InDesign (with round-trip tie to Dn for rendering) would replace the use of LayOut (SU's compliment to page layout). LayOut pales by comparison to Adobe's streamlined interface and capabilities through InDesign.

• Ted O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too. I have a bunch of Sketchup files of an important project and am just about to learn Adobe Dimension for the first time !

• Shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work at a large company, we do a lot of product photography. It would be HUGE to be able to take advantage of the sleekness of Dimension but would need the ability to import custom models. Even if dimension had the ability to create models from scratch, that would do the trick. Without one of these functions, we will likely never use dimension.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base