Feature Request Details

2D Camera Controls with Background Scene

I can understand the camera controls being 3D when there is no 2D scene in the background. However, once I have put in the 2D scene, it is infuriating to have my horizon misaligned when I meant to zoom in to the actual image, and not in 3D.

It would be great if there were an option, once a scene is in place, to have the "camera" stop being a 3D camera, and turn into a photoshop-like viewport, where I can literally zoom in and out of the entire image, without moving the 3D objects relative to the scene.

31 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Yeliz Karadayi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Happy Monday, October 15th, everyone! Today we released an update to Dimension CC – the 2.0 release! We’ve done a lot of work on the canvas area of the application and included the “2D” style canvas that is more traditional for Adobe applications. This change does mean there are some keyboard shortcut changes:

1, 2, 3 = Orbit, Pan, Dolly (the 3D camera controls)
    Z = is now the 2D zoom tool
    H and spacebar = is now the 2D pan tool

You can see more about the release here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/whats-new.html

Here’s an article on the canvas updates in Dimension 2.0:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/set-canvas-size.html

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hanafi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When render canvas is big like 2000px or 3000px there is only scrollbars, we need a hand grip icon - left click and hold - to move the canvas and look around the area. Often we cancel render because we see something not yet right. This could be helpful

• Jörg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This function would be nice for large scenes, e.g. when you have the image of a complete house and you want to place a car in front of the house. The car gets quite small then and covers only a small part of the image. Then zooming into the scene without changing it would simplify to place the car in the right angle and size.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That makes sense, you've set up your view to be from a specific 2D background so rotating that view is a little counter productive. Great discussion and something we've been talking about a lot on the team actually.

Hypothetically!

What if you had 2 views? What if you had one camera which was your sort of final shot which was more 2D and then a second one where you could say rotate around to look at the 3D scene.

In that scenario do you think you'd rather have one tool (Zoom Tool) that behaves differently/logically/automatically in the different views? A tool with a modifier (Drag to Dollly, Shift+Drag to Zoom)? Or do you think you'd rather have two sets of distinct tools (Zoom tool and Dolly tool)?

• Yeliz Karadayi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, I'd suggest it be a toggle, just in case there ever is a need to switch between the two. I personally would probably exclusively use the camera controls as though I was viewing something 2D as soon as my horizon is positioned properly, and just use the object-transform tools to move them 3-dimensionally as needed. I don't see why I would need to ever have a "dolly" when I can't change how I view a 2D scene and it only changes the 3D objects in it, for example. But ... maybe after more usage I'll find reasons to switch back and forth. Who knows.

• Yeliz Karadayi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a sense, yes! I simply don't understand why the 3D objects would rotate and move while the image stays perfectly still. In any case, at least the "scene" image should be considered a 3D object in itself and treated as such, but it is not- it is static, while everything else moves. Why would I want everything to move while my scene stays still? I either want to move one or a specific group of objects, or I want to move everything together.

I want to be able to zoom into sections so I can focus on one object at a time for faster render-previewing. I don't want to have to wait for the entire image to re-render when I've only changed one element. So, it would make a lot of sense for me to be able to zoom in [crop in?] to a section and focus on the one thing I'm working on, and then be able to zoom out and see it in the context of the whole.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting discussion! I'd love to get more information here on your expectations.

Felix actually does not have any '2D' scene, so when you say you put it in the 2D scene, you've really just added background that is sort of behind your 3D camera. If I understand you're saying that once you add a 2D background you more expected it to change to a completely 2D space with 2D pan, rotate and zoom tools?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to zoom in on the render screen is essential and very important!! I have to see in DETAIL, how raytracing looks before doing the final raytracing.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. You really need more infos on this, Chantel? I mean - zooming in an image is pretty essential, no?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd be good to be able to zoom in and out of the render using the cmd-[plus,minus] keys.

• steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Test file was a 4k x 4k camera scene w/ single object and background image. Ping me if you need the source .asd. thx!

• steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Render view doesn't have options other than 100%

If I have a larger scene, I want to be able to see the whole view in the render mode, and/or zoom into details quickly instead of panning around to a section.

Feedback and Knowledge Base