Feature Request Details

Faster Rendering

Render times are slow, not usable.

Render times are way to slow. If I render a simluaur scene in Cinema 4D, it takes only 1,5 - 2 minutes instead of forever...

21 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tino de Jong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

We released Dimension 1.1 today which has some great performance boosts. Scenes now render an average of 20% faster. In our tests the actual increase was up to 67% faster but the gain is variable for the complexity of the scene and the quality of the render.

However, we’re not done and will continue to optimize performance, especially for rendering times. Please enjoy the increase and look forward to more!

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today is my first use of dimensions, I have a duel core i5 iMac 2017 8gb ram. Imported my own obj from photoshop 3d just to add a texture material to a 3d picture canvas mockup. size 6 x 4 inches at 300 pixels. I have to do this as photoshop cc 2018 3d had limited materials (all free) The sad thing is! When I subscribe to adobe stock for new materials, they are only available for dimensions and not compatible with photoshop 3d. This means I have to render in photoshop.. took 3 hours. I added the material in dimensions with no other assets added, so really not much to render. However (psd 16 bits Low quality) has still not rendered after 9 hours. Im gutted I've waisted so much time with this software and will have to try others instead

• Anirban Basu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current rendering speed is very slow. Would love to see faster rendering performance in next release.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We actually have a beta of a cloud rendering service going on right now. It's only available in our Prerelease program, but everyone is welcome to join. Here is an invitation link:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/6D4BC437-A571-40B6-B398-1D29A4A13985/participate/EE7FF961-5A3B-4D0B-A32C-46DDC0FDDA0E

We have a separate idea we're tracking cloud rendering status and this idea is primarily about just making local renders faster for those who don't want to use a cloud service. We're making great progress here!

• Brett Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible for Adobe to have some sort of Render Farm instead for CC subscribers?
        So once your scene is ready you send to Adobe's Render Farm and get your results back quick quick.

• edwin reyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

something to consider...i cut my rendering time from 6+ hours to about 1hr, the image exported is 66in x 66in sy 72dpi as a 16bit photoshop file. i have 32gb of ram and an i7, i was initially choosing the export path of the file as one of the standard media drives on my machine which i typically work from. The OS is on a 1TB ssd, i just chose to export right to ssd instead of to the slower hard drive and I now have a usable work flow...I'm sure that with the later addition of GPU rendering as well this will only get better.

• Chris Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real pain for me too..... I abandoned so many high quality ones as it seemed like it crashed as there was not even the preview starting to build up like it does in a low quality render. I'm currently trying a .PNG to see if this is going to help but 4hr16mins in and its still not doing anything other than just being an expensive timer at the moment.
        I'll leave it overnight but for sure its not very good. A shame I've used it several times on projects but have to sort of come up with an elaborate excuse why I cant show anything bigger or clearer but just low quality renders.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kalla - for blurry renders this is usually caused by a usability issue. Go to Design Mode, Select the Environment (in the Scene Panel) and then in the properties turn off Depth of Field. If you have Depth of Field on be sure to open the render preview window to configure it while you're in design mode as the depth of field blur effect can't currently be visualized in the design canvas.

• Kaila New York commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I rendered in low and medium and both came out blurry. The high has been rendering for a while now. I am bummed because minus the rendering (which is the most important part) its a kickass application. :(

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 64 gb of ram on a mac pro and it is taking quite a while as well.

• KB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Renders take way too long. Even set at low quality, the very basic scene I designed was taking over 5 hours to render. This is useless for getting anything done in the real world.

Hi Bryan! Faster rendering has been a key focus for us this cycle and the next release shows marked improvements. Can't announce a release date, but should be soon for an update!

Currently we've benchmarked only the low setting which we've seen an average 95% improvement in final render times.
        Please note that it's % based and still highly reliant on your hardware and that high quality is still significantly slower than low.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress or ETA on this? I'd like to work on some projects in Felix but just can't wait hours for them to render. Anything you can share on what we can expect render times to be or how much of an improvement will be seen?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, render times are slow atm, a low res 1024x768 PNG export took about an hour. As Jeanette said hopefully the performance improves as more builds are released.

Feedback and Knowledge Base