Feature Request Details

Save Custom Materials

After editing a material or adding textures to create my own it would be great to save the material for reuse in other projects.

39 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Legere Pharmaceuticals commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I am working on a project where I have two models saved as separate projects, and I want them to have the same material - but I do not know how to get it from the one project to the other.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We plan to enable CC Libraries saving for materials, just not done yet!

For the sampler workflow, after you apply the material it will be applied as linked. In the actions panel you can unlink the material to create a copy which you can edit the properties of offset/orientation for each object that you unlink the material for.

• jmlg12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For saving,why not saving them in the cc Librairy, by drag´n drop ?

For applying on multiple object I agree that the Sampler tool is fine. But when you have some « placed » texture, you may need to adjust offset/orientation object by object and I guess that these parameters are attached to the material and not to the Mesh. So if you edit them for one it move on all the object section so you need to make copies... except if there is a way to link which parameters are kept in the instances.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Angela, you can use the Sampler tool to sample and reuse materials in a single scene. Sampling and using a material this way will create a linked material so if you edit it in one place it is edited in other places as well.

We think we can certainly expose this functionality better as well as improve with an actual material save/export for multiple document usage.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe Dimension has a lot of useful features that can really speed up workflow. However, not being able to save custom materials slows down the workflow and makes for a lot of redundant work if you want to reuse a modified material with various objects.

Not having this essential feature means having to manually redo each and every change to the parameters for each object. It becomes even more cumbersome if you want to use custom materials in different projects as well.

I hope that we will be seeing this feature implemented in the very near future!

• No commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey Jeanette, any idea when this will get higher on the road map?

• Ernest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to apply the same modified material to other objects in the scene. (I mean being able to save the material presets after adjusting the colour, glow, opacity etc.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base