Feature Request Details

Package Design - Create 3D Model from Dyeline/Blueprint

I'd like to be able to build a product package from a dieline created in Illustrator, fold it along specific lines, give it a UV gloss on parts, add foiling and embossing where required.

117 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello everyone! We’re continuing work on the dielines research and thank you to everyone who has submitted sample files so far! We’re still gathering more samples, so if you have dielines with artwork and graphics placed that you can share with Adobe (for internal research purposes only) please feel free to send me an e-mail: jmathews@adobe.com.

The Dimension team is very interested in the topic of creation/modeling/editing as a whole. We haven’t added any creation so far, but are actively researching this area. We have a new survey on modeling and editing and would love your thoughts on the topic!

https://goo.gl/forms/hEOH3wFVC5KNPMoU2

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sara Oestreich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I have packages of all sorts that I am needing to create a quick 3D images of (to save costs on photoshoots and to have better control over perspective and angles). The cube object is almost perfect for some of them, and others it is just too deep. I wish we could select "cube" (or in the future "rectangle"?) then enter the exact dimensions of front and sides that we need (much like that of the shape tools of Illustrator), which then creates a blank 3D object to design according to our specs.

• Jill B Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same needs for package design. In fact, I tried Adobe Dimension for the first time today. I found that I could not specify the package dimensions (or proportions) and I could apply only one "decal" to my box. I will send Jeanette a file.

• Brittany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recognize that Dimension is currently only a "skinning" program and not an actual 3D-building program, but I would absolutely love to have the ability to create dielines in Illustrator and connect them like smart objects to a model in Dimension, where if I adjust the dieline in Illustrator the model will update accordingly in Dimension. Ability to designate separate objects as separate materials (i.e. for creating product windows or foiling effects) would be hugely useful as well.

As a middle ground until/unless actual modeling functionality is added, it would be great to be able to open up an automatically-generated dieline for an existing Adobe 3D object so that we can compose & place our decal PNGs with better precision. For instance, when I try to put a decal on the standard box object that comes with Dimension, the front looks great but the side panels squish the art to 50% width; if Dimension could generate a dieline for that box that I could open up in Illustrator, I could match the art to the dieline to avoid distortion.

The LiveSurface Context plugin for Illustrator does this magnificently with their Plus objects, for instance.

• Triman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please,
        1. Dyeline imports from illustrator, support transparency to take advantage of those amazing materials.
        2. also ability to add multiple decals for side labels etc.

• Jeff Korzeniowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what I would be looking for... The Packaging industry is in desperate need for an all in one solution from Adobe.

• Carlos Díaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

build a pack imported from a dieline in illustrator would be terrific. as most professionals in the industry do not build their dielines in illustrator (but import them from more specialized software) no modifying would be required, just recognizing the main types of lines (creases, cut lines, etc).

• Mark Aventino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be cool before folding to have possibility choose paper type and width. For example 2 mm textured cardboard, or 0.5 gloss paper, or 3mm goffered cardboard.

• Mark Aventino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is great product – Boxshot ORIGAMI, Illustrator plugin. Via this plugin possible to convert Dyeline from illustrator to textured 3d model object. After it can be imported to Dimensions. BUT, if you change dyeline or design, you must all time reexport all via Origami to Dimensions. It is time waste. It is really needed functionality, to have possibility same as Origami, but without export and with live dyeline and design update. Also it will be realy cool to make possible import from Illustrator (as in ESKO): UV varnish layer, Metall Foil layer, Embosing layer. Also to slow/bad rendering without GPU usage! Also need to rerender fragment.

• SD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thats would be a great thing to make 3d models from an Illustrator object folded at the dielines.
        I think a simplier and easyer to use software like the expensive Esko Studio is that what many designer seeking for. a software that can Folding a tetrapack a pouchbag or what else is needed for packaging previsualisation is missing in the adobe portfolio...

• Shawn O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be the most amazing feature. I think smart object linking to illustrator would be the best way to edit the dies. Please make this happen!

• JPTummler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the first thing I looked forward to see when I installed Dimension CC, please make it happen!

• Egon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We design or product in Illustrator in Layers. So we have an image/print layer a cut layer, crease layer and so on.

That we export the layers for Esko Artios Cad (mentioned earlier in this threat) or we can see a rendered live preview with Zünd Design Center plugin for Illustrator. Link: https://www.zund.com/nl/zund-design-center-software

We use this models for fitting without the need of an actual product, so a pré-fit. And a 3D model for our costumer. If you can manage this it would be great!!!

• Egon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Adobe is targeting product Designers with Adobe Demensions, I find it actually unacceptable that it is not possible to import 3D models from Artios Cad, Solidworks, etc!

I would like to address this problem first so that the "Pro's" can really help you!

• anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you could choose a dieline as an illustrator template that references 3D models in Adobe Stock, perhaps you can see the 3D model and which dieline it relates to. Then the user only has to export the artboards as PNG (or place it in CC library) and use as Decal on 3D model in Dimension

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar challenge! Although I am looking to simply apply my packaging artwork to a simplistic shape in Dn CC.

I can place Decals onto an object but only 1 Decal per object/model is permitted at this point, information given to me by Jeanette. I was intending to do this as individual panels so it doesn't work setting it up like this.

If anyone has created a simple window or closed box using Dn CC and a dieline I would be more than grateful if you could share this?

I have an idea of how to do it and will attempt it today, but if this has been successfully attempted already I would be very happy!

• Rehan Saiyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Origami plugin for Adobe Illustrator to create die lines and folding, export it as obj file and import it into Adobe Dimensions/Felix for rendering. It will be extremly helpful if this feature is integrated into Dimension workflow, alsong with creating special printing effects - UV, Emboss, Foiling etc with Paper textures, just like Esko Visualizer.

You can veiw the project I created in Adobe Illustrator with Origami plugin and rendered with Adobe Dimension on the Behance curated gallery, called IDP Planner for Commercial Bank of Qatar.

• Jeff Korzeniowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way i would want something like this to work is using Ai to create die-lines. The cuts and creases are spot colors which are interpreted by "Dimension" when placed. To edit folds etc, you could edit the "placed" model which should be a live link. Once its brought in you can select your lines and change fold angles as necessary.. still...all live. A better way of managing images is to open dieline in illustrator and it allows you to drop your artwork onto your die file. saving would update. Spot colors would indicate what objects are. graphics would now be included and fully editable. just a start

• Tim Melis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very usefull if you could replace a spot color with gold, silver, matt or gloss varnish. Or apply a bevel.

• Tim Melis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jonny, the video was only intended as reference to illustrate how a folding process could work. Of course will many 3D modeling program allow folding of surfaces. And yes, they are to complex and difficult to use for the average Joe. Felix should be able to fold surfaces with ease. For example by selecting a line, and applying a folding angle.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base