Feature Request Details

Custom Light Objects

Lighting in Project Felix is currently handled through the Environment and Sunlight objects. Custom light objects would allow studio setups, with area lights that can be positioned, sized, rotated, colored, and set at varying intensities.

92 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello everyone! Jeanette from the Dimension team here. Excited to say that lighting is a topic that’s up next for us and as someone who has expressed interest in more lighting controls, we’re sending you a survey!

You can take the survey here:
    https://goo.gl/forms/OqjdQIkLYG1MMaN62

Lighting is such an exciting topic because it’s critical for both photorealism and unlocks such potential for creativity. Deep appreciation to all who can find the time to take the survey. It should take about 10-15 minutes and will help kickstart some research we’re running.

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Junior Rocha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be interesting, just as in the 3D environment of Photoshop, to have the ability to place multiple points of light as well as more than one kind of light, such as Spot Light and Point Light, like Photoshop.
        For the current option, which would be to use objects that have glow materials are very weak.

• Chelsi Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of 3D programs have more than one light type available that can easily be added to the scene. These would be vastly different than the currently available environment lights that are image based.

I've attached an image of some common ones that are in a 3D program I use. These lights can be moved, rotated, have their color changed, intensity changed, etc.

I recently did a composition where I used part of a model that was available in Dimension (billboard object), I had to add my own lights (fake it) in Photoshop as I was attempting to replicate the feeling that the customer was looking at a stage. The before and after images are attached. The "before" image is the render out of dimension. The after image shows the change in lighting that we added to the scene plus the color shift that we didn't want to influence the lighting as we were attempting to create depth.

Using the ambient environment light didn't fully illustrate the look we were going for. Being able to add the lights listed in the light types image would have greatly improved the composition overall. Admins please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Our use case for dimension is different than most as we are actually using the items we render in UI/UX.

• Kat Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Jeanette. I was referring to the FR I posted on the public forum and it got merged with another earlier FR on lighting. Lighting requests were much more detailed.

Did the previous FR from Felix not translate into Dn? There was a much more intensive request on lighting from that forum...

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a better way to add light ources. the enviroment reflections and intensity are great, but it doesn't give me a lot of control when i'm trying to dictate exactly where i want light and shadow to fall. I understand that adding sunlight gives me an extra light source, or i can create a giant glowing object of frame, but none of this is good and i feel like i'm trying to make it do something, when i should have settings for it.

So in short: we need an option for mulitple light sources and a waye to change the color and the position of those light sources.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no way to turn off shadows separately from light at this time. If you're trying to make something 'floating' you'll need to move the objects up into the air away from the ground. Functionality for ground shadows is something we're looking into right now!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there any way that I can remove the rendering of the shadows below the object?

Shadow Algorithms:

Depth map (shadow map)- need to see the point from which the depth and point of origin is computed. Depth map framing- i.e. spotlights, omnidirectional (point) light, directional (infinite) light. Ability to raise the resolution of the shadow map to obtain the desire effect and eliminate visual artifacts. Ability to use more than one light in a scene. Ability to focus lights on different objects independently from one another. Ability to control transparency object shadow support. Ability to control shadow color according to the scene.

Raytraced shadows- (the one we all want for many of desired issues state above are not normally issues with raytrace!)

Ambient Occlusion in global illumination- indirect light that interreflects with surfaces in a scene.

IBL- ability to create one’s own. (Ps has this ability which helps one experiment according to their creation.)

Bounce Light- bouncing light from a reflective surface.

Caustics- (one I have wished for a long time- ability to fake but…) Key in regard to transparent object lighting.

Fresnel Effect- object surface determines the transmitted light effect.

Anisotropic Highlights- another surface/light effect desired.

Reflection- Diffuse, glossy and specular.

Add a few lights, like spot and soft box that we could add as needed. A few basic polygon tools would be nice as well.
        Nice start!

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the light controls are a bit stiff right now. We can rotate the light source but just in one axis. Adding custom lights is needed, even though the "lightning from an image" works great, it would be nice to have the chance to "lie" a little bit.

Additional lighting support. As you can see in the render screenshot my bottle's shadow is not in exactly the correct angle compared to the other shadows. It was very hard to see if the angle was right from the previews so a shadow preview would be nice.

Add specific lights and gpu setings make tools easier to use and find. Add better library of objects textures, water, etc. Better shadows are needed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base