Feature Request Details

Rename and Merge Objects & Groups

A way merge group objects into a single object and the ability to rename objects and grouped items.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alexis Galvin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    needs more info  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion! You can rename objects and groups by double clicking on their name in the scene panel.

I’m curious about the first part of the request to merge groups into a single object. May I ask why? Is there a functional difference from a group of objects and merged objects that you see?

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dan! Yes, you can do both of those today with groups. Just select the objects you want to group then hit Cmd/Ctrl + G (or the group action in the action panel, or the menu option under Object > Group). Once you have it grouped it's easy to reselect to move them all together or apply materials to all selected objects. You can rename groups by clicking their name in the scene panel.

I'm still not sure about the original idea here about merging objects and groups though. Is it asking for taking 2 groups and making it one group? Or more about actually combining the meshes in some way?

• dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In scenes with many objects it is helpful to be able to change parameters of a grouping of objects all together. For example changing mateiral property. Or simply to select and move a group of objects all at once.

Feedback and Knowledge Base