Feature Request Details

Folding and Special Printing Effects

Can we have special printing effects simulated over the packaging designs - like UV, Foil, Embossing.... it would be excellent!

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rehan Saiyed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Vic - You can 'mask' the effect by creating a black and white varition of the image where black = glossy, white = rough/matte and gray is in between variations.

Here's a tutorial that shows using a black and white image as a mask for an effect: https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/apply-materials-images-to-models.html#Customizematerialandgraphicproperties

• Vic Sangoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys! I'm trying to make the spot uv gloss effect in a packaging. But I can't select the effect for one layer in particular of the design. Someone did do it? (sorry for my english!! :P)

• Tim Melis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I agree with Rehan. Supporting spot colors for "special" operations would be usefull. The interface should be able to detect all spot colors in an Illustrator file, allowing designers to replace them with materials like different types of gold, silver or varnish, or to use as bevel or emboss effect. Designers should be able to select a pantone color as "folding" color. Designers should be able to assign a folding angle to each line in this "folding" color. It would be great if users would also be able to select from different types of paper or cardboards and should be able to set the thickness of the material.

• Rehan Saiyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeanette,

As we create the art in either Illustrator or InDesign, we can specify the spot colour options for special effects like spot UV or Foil.

These special effects should have ability to select the layer or the spot colour and apply the material in the Dn. And of course, if we have the special printing materials already defined in the material library, will make the task more easy, may be incorporating with the Pantone colour system.

The render quality is already excellent, with the vray engine.

Similarly for the dielines and folding, we can specify a layer in InDesign or Illustrator with specific name and that layer can be recognized in the Dn as a folding layer and a dialogue box to specify the angles of fold or window cutout when the art is imported in Dn. And if we have ability to select the paper type and thickness, will be an excellent option to simulate the design with realistic renders and at the same time, if any issues with dielines, can be traced early on before going into production.

I think the back end should be totally based on the printing methodology and prepress so all technical errors can be detected early on during design and mockup stage.

Hope I am clear in explaining my workflow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base