(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Grell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hey everyone! We released Dimension 1.1 today with some great new features (you can read more here: https://www.adobe.com/products/dimension/features.html). I figure a lot of people will be wondering where multiple decals is so I wanted to give a status update!

Unfortunately we weren’t able to get that work in for this release but we’re starting on some great enhancements to the whole material system which includes additional decal/graphic layering, material and placement control for graphics, and more. I’ll announce here when we have something ready for prerelease in a few months!

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please hurry on this concept. I was a little shocked to find out adding multiple decals wasn't possible. My boss needs some mockups and he wants me to pay for another program. I'd prefer to keep my work in the Adobe Family. This is a fantastic tool - I'd even take a buggy version that could handle more than one gfx at a time. Thanks!

• Sarah Pruett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to apply graphic decals to different surfaces of an object. For example different product graphics to the various sides of a cube.

Work Around!

Just found that if you import your .OBJ model in as a number of open meshes that you know 'add up' to a closed mesh, that each of those open meshes can accept a unique decal/graphic mapped onto it.

To get this to work:

Split the mesh out as desired in the 3D modeler (Rhino 6 this time).

Export each open mesh as its own .OBJ. My model had 7 unique open meshes.

in Dimension CC insert each 3D model individually using the default origin. Each individual .OBJ mesh drops right into place.

Now all of the faces of your object are logged as discrete meshes and can accept discrete decal/graphics. Still just one decal/graphic per mesh. But you can overlay in PS.

After all of that, group your object and save it as a stand-alone .DN Now this mult- textured object can be placed in other .DN scenes.

Win!

it would be great when designing a label that when you placed it in Adobe Dimensions that you could select different aspects of it (like you can with the 3D object you are putting it on) to add some of the different effects supplied in Adobe Dimensions to different parts of your decal design. For example if you wanted a gold strip on your label (decal) or gold or silver font in some places and metallic in others with a matt finish on other areas of your decal

• Luca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also consider multiple decals a fundamental feature, especially when working with complex volumes: it would be very useful to be able to enter and manage multiple decals separately. Will be useful manage the decals like separately layer turning them on and off. It would also be convenient could paint the model directly in dimension instead switching continuously in photoshop.

• Gabriel Braga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be enabled in future updates the possibility of gluing more than one decal in the material. The limitation of a single decal hinders the assembly of mokups from larger projects, such as buses, trucks, vehicles in general.

• Diego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My current issue: working on an extruded hexagon. I can only cover three sides of it. So it would be really handy to be able to cast a second decal on the remaining sides or be able to wrap the surface so all the sides were covered. Also, I have to use a solid color on top instead of the textured blue from my design.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes to both multiple decals and 3-d box from dielines!!!!!

• christopher gabrielson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Multiple decals sounds more accessible for me. Really need those! So I can make full color product mock ups. Really hard to get my packaging images to match up right now.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just getting back into the swing of things! Hope everyone had a great holiday season and got some time off.

There is a second suggestion/idea about creating 3D models directly from blueprints/dyelines/cutters/templates (various names!). You can see that here: https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559/suggestions/20357320

Please feel free to add any additional thoughts there but we are exploring both avenues at the moment.

• David Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope the Adobe team had a great holiday period! Just building on my previous post. Would it be possible for Dimensions to import a cutter guide (produced in illustrator) and plot a 3D object from it? Complete with the correct 1:1 dimensions. Then with the artwork in InDesign, you would be able to fill each surface without any additional tweaking about...as the artwork changes, so will the Dimensions file.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with David Paul - We do a lot of packaging designs, especially on boxes. And we need to show the client how their product will end up looking on all sides. Please apply this as soon as possible :-) THANK YOU!

• James Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to place more than one decal on an object as some projects require different information on the sides of a box. eg a soap box

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base