(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Grell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hey everyone! We released Dimension 1.1 today with some great new features (you can read more here: https://www.adobe.com/products/dimension/features.html). I figure a lot of people will be wondering where multiple decals is so I wanted to give a status update!

Unfortunately we weren’t able to get that work in for this release but we’re starting on some great enhancements to the whole material system which includes additional decal/graphic layering, material and placement control for graphics, and more. I’ll announce here when we have something ready for prerelease in a few months!

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE please please!!!!, add this option of placing multiple decals on one material. On a cylinder its not possible to trick the sytem to use another material on "the backside" since its round. Placing one decal with front/back graphic on a cylinder like your coffee mug model, twists the whole decal out of shape

• Piotr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

multilayers for decals on model to provide diffrent methods of printing like hot stamping on one packaging

• Nicolas Castano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad you guys are working on adding this... BUT seriously, this should have been included day 1. I mean this is a core feature if you want to be able to show a product packaging on all of its sides.
        Also please make easier for objects to match decals or viceversa, and not loose proportions.

Eg. My 23 x 23 cm artwork on illustrator should match a 2.3 x 2.3 object side.

• Mark Spangler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And still nothing has been done. Adobe has so many other layer-based programs that it seems insane that layer based edited cant be applied to .obj files.

• shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a workaround to be able to attach a different decal to each side of a packaging.

Just select the appropriate side with the magic wand, drag and drop a simple white matte on this side and then add a decal to this material. Repeat these steps for all of your sides, and you're done. Possibilty to change the amount of reflection is possible by using the 'roughness' slider on the decal.

A bit cumbersome, but it works! I use it a lot to render packagings for clients.

• JAYNE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hanging out for the multiple decals feature to come out! When do you think this might happen Jeanette?

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like such a non-negotiable feature considering dimensions is specifically meant for product mockup.

I went to try out Dimensions for a client mockup and realized this was not possible. Suprised and disappointed.

Please hurry on this concept. I was a little shocked to find out adding multiple decals wasn't possible. My boss needs some mockups and he wants me to pay for another program. I'd prefer to keep my work in the Adobe Family. This is a fantastic tool - I'd even take a buggy version that could handle more than one gfx at a time. Thanks!

• Sarah Pruett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to apply graphic decals to different surfaces of an object. For example different product graphics to the various sides of a cube.

Work Around!

Just found that if you import your .OBJ model in as a number of open meshes that you know 'add up' to a closed mesh, that each of those open meshes can accept a unique decal/graphic mapped onto it.

To get this to work:

Split the mesh out as desired in the 3D modeler (Rhino 6 this time).

Export each open mesh as its own .OBJ. My model had 7 unique open meshes.

in Dimension CC insert each 3D model individually using the default origin. Each individual .OBJ mesh drops right into place.

Now all of the faces of your object are logged as discrete meshes and can accept discrete decal/graphics. Still just one decal/graphic per mesh. But you can overlay in PS.

After all of that, group your object and save it as a stand-alone .DN Now this mult- textured object can be placed in other .DN scenes.

Win!

it would be great when designing a label that when you placed it in Adobe Dimensions that you could select different aspects of it (like you can with the 3D object you are putting it on) to add some of the different effects supplied in Adobe Dimensions to different parts of your decal design. For example if you wanted a gold strip on your label (decal) or gold or silver font in some places and metallic in others with a matt finish on other areas of your decal

• Luca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also consider multiple decals a fundamental feature, especially when working with complex volumes: it would be very useful to be able to enter and manage multiple decals separately. Will be useful manage the decals like separately layer turning them on and off. It would also be convenient could paint the model directly in dimension instead switching continuously in photoshop.

• Gabriel Braga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be enabled in future updates the possibility of gluing more than one decal in the material. The limitation of a single decal hinders the assembly of mokups from larger projects, such as buses, trucks, vehicles in general.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base