Feature Request Details

More 3D formats

Dimension CC must have more than one import file, not only OBJ, it must have STL, IGS ... Because if the 3D modeling programs that any user uses, do not export in OBJ, we will never work with Dimension CC because it limits our work

50 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Happy Monday, October 15th, everyone! Today we released an update to Dimension CC – the 2.0 release! This update includes support for 3 new file formats: .fbx, .skp (Sketchup), and .stl. We’ll continue to work on improving import bugs and compatibility and adding new formats.

Since “more 3D formats” is fairly vague I’m going to close this request and please ask that you vote on individual format listing. If you want .3ds, vote on the .3ds format support idea!

You can see more about the release here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/whats-new.html

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

As "more 3D Formats" I vote for 3MF, Step and IGES (as Photoshop does) and why not USDZ ?

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@fr32c - We're supporting the .fbx format but not animation and rigging yet. If you imported a Mixamo character or animation it would come in static in a pose. Animation support is on our roadmap but not for this year. Supporting .fbx is a step towards that though.

@jml - Definitely a good consideration for the .glTF format. We're working on the export first but it's up there for imports as well. Great questions on UVs and tessellation. We're still working on the early stages here but will have that under consideration.

hello,

Thanks for the information, it's a very good news.
        But can I suggest that you add to the list the new glTF file format ? as it has been added for export, and by the way could it be possible to get an option to use the Binary format (.GLB) which is more comfortable to share.

On the other hand, I'm curious to see how Dimension will manage UV's on IGES/Step format, and if there will be some options to manage the tessellation.

Many Thanks

• Jeff Korzeniowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its odd that Collada (.dae) is not on the list. Its one of the more common ones. at least more than the first 3 for me.

• Franck Payen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's an excellent news @Jeannette ! I didn't even expect so many.
        If I read .fbx, shall I understand also… mixamo/fuse ? :)

I agree that more neutral formats could be convenient, but what about IGES and step? If it could be cool to get those from CAD it may have an issue with Tessellation and UV for texturing this kind of files, as well for STL.

• Lauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable importing of STP or XT files!

Other than that - love this program!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Importing of multiple 3d model types like *.step or *.iges maybe even solidworks models themselves.

Feedback and Knowledge Base