Feature Request Details

Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

27 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Hayes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Hello everyone! First, I wanted to apologize for the delay in communication on this issue. I realize that unreliable, pixelated graphics are a huge blocker for the work you’re trying to do in Dimension. Due to a number of technical backend reasons, we weren’t able to start on this right away, but we’re now actively working on resolving this issue.

The engineering team has requested some user files. If you have a saved .dn scene with a pixelated graphic you can send in to help in testing the solution that you’re willing to send in, it would be much appreciated!

You can e-mail your .dn scene files up to 20MB directly to tickets@adobedimension.com. If it’s larger than 20MB please send via a link using Dropbox, WeShare, Google Drive, or another file transfer service. Please include a brief description to let me know the file shows a pixelated decal.

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey everyone, I was on break for the holidays, apologies. I believe I responded elsewhere on the Adobe forums with more details on this issue, but never re-posted here:

Decals have a resolution limit of 2048x2048 internally. However, that resolution can also be made smaller based on the MATERIAL the decal is applied to due to the way we composite the textures together and based on the UVs of the model. So if you put a 2048 decal onto a material which uses a 1024 base texture and the area of the object where you placed the decal only took up 1/2 of the UV space, your final decal resolution might be 512 or so.

Some things that can increase decal quality:
        - Use high resolution textures in your materials (4096 preferred)
        - Divide your decals to retain higher resolution for different elements
        - If you are creating your own models ensure your decal areas have a higher utilization of UV space.

We are actively working on a solution which will render decals at their native resolution, irregardless of what material they are placed on and irregardless of UV allotment. We expect this to be fixed in our next release (tentatively April, 2019).

• Chris Ebels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel - Awesome workaround man. I'm going to try this in my project and see if slicing up the graphics and applying them that way can clean up the result. It's less than ideal but if it works it just saved me a headache and extra money.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok guys, I've solved it. It seems like the admins have no clue what the hell they're talking about. Very unprofessional.

The problem is that apparently Dimensions has a size limit for the textures (in pixels) and if you exceed that limit, it will downsample your image to the highest allowed resolution. So for example, if you apply one large label image on your product of let's say 4000x4000 resolution, dimensions will downsample it to the maximum allowed 1024x1024 (this is an example resolution, don't know the maximum but it's very low).
        This is my source file and a result in dimensions: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBUMI4yOxSCF_XMJg
        super sharp source file but an extremely blurry result

SOLUTION:
        cut your graphics into smaller pieces and apply it one by one to your product. I took out a text from my label and saved it as a separate file. Same pixel density, but it's just a small piece of the label https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBTBLmbXLZXoug9wQ
        and the results https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBSpHS2ZkLEytvq-w

Admin, I don't want to be rude, but if you don't have this basic knowledge of your own app, then it's hard to put any trust in it, or into any of your answers. Please step up your game.

Just wanted to point out that the answer given by admin is completely untrue. I've tested the same model with 4 different typology details and the results are exactly the same. Low res model = low res decal, high res model = low res decal, no change. The admin is not explaining the solution correctly or is uneducated in this matter.

Still having this issue. This makes the entire app simply useless.

• Chris Ebels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's amazing to me that such a glaring issue hasn't been fixed yet. I was planning to use Dimension to render out product images but all the fine print is too pixelated. No matter how I try there seems to be no way to get a sharp enough texture on the labels for fine detail.

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to fix this yesterday for hours and after some googling I found this post!

I thought exporting high res models whas the whole point of this product? As of now I dont really understand the point of Dimensions. Are we supposed to play around? Is it still a beta or what?

If I had know this from the start I would never learned the program or wasted a whole day try to make something in high res. Now I have to go for another software. I´m very disappointed at this product and Adobe.

• Robin Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point of including models in Dimension that won't accept high resolution images? Totally pointless!

• Molly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this as well. I have to render blank objects and then put my design onto them in photoshop in order for it to appear high enough in quality for professional use. I was so excited about the software, and I really hope these improvements are made so I can add dimension to my list of go-to programs.

• Vern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed in the decal resolution issue, it killed an attempt today to get a useable image to use. Anything new on when resolutions will improve?

• James Higgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the decals render at their full resolution would be great. The rest of the model renders in flawlessly and looks fantastic, so really happy with the software there, but it is unfortunately held back by the decal quality which is almost always blurry and grainy, even when rendering at 32bit high quality with very high resolution files created in Illustrator.

My clients love the prospect of using renders as their primary product pictures and even included them in their advertising material. Unfortunately the quality of the decals on the products are the only things turning them away from the idea.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's definitely planned, but not something we've started on yet. There's a bunch of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes this area a little tricky. We will fix it, but have to wait for some components to get caught up. Once we start I will swap the status and you'll get a notification if you're subscribed.

• Tatyana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't seen an update on decal resolution. Is this something that's being worked on?

• Marley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with any model I choose, no matter what file graphic I use. It renders the program unusable honestly. Super disappointing!

• Анна commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem not only using my own 3D models and have it on models that comes with Dimension too. No matter what i use: png,svg,jpg.

• Nauris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried placing the same decal file on different models, even on a simple plane, but it renders in very bad quality, letters are blurred etc.

I tried same decal file also on models that comes with Dimension and the problem is the same. I don't understand how this is connected to UVs resolution of a model.

I also tried different resolutions and jpg vs png files, but the result always looks the same.

I would like to see some solution for this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base