Feature Request Details

Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

40 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Hayes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just tried placing an AI file as a decal, but still get blury images in rendering.
        Do I have to increase the Background Scene resolution to get better results?

On the other hand, does the cloud rendering use the same render engine ?

• alexis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried the beta but it can't open my file. Would be usefull to be able to get the beta without deleting the regular release. BTW i hope the decal is better now, i wonder if the filetype or/and have an effect on the final render ? Actually i'm using Adobe .ai file and i have massive pixel in the final render of my packaging. I wonder why, as it's a vector file. Would it work better with a PDF ? Or a PSD/PNG/… ?

I hope to that the beta fix the problem of the resolution : actually when you chnage the resolution it doesn't change the final render size at all. It's the same pixel size at the end so it's useless.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeanette,

Firstly thanks to the Dimension team for working on this, its great that you are responsive to community feedback.

I have tried the test release for this same issue, and I can say that the results are much better. I am still getting mild jaggedness on decals, but compared to before the problem is much improved. I hope this can continue to be developed until we are looking at perfect results, but this is a great start!

• jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could it be possible to Rip the vector AI file in the cloud at render time ? In order to keep a fast preview in the dynamic viewport for adjusting the scene, and generate the HD texture in the final rendering only?.

• richardjohnthompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this issue as well and although dimensions seems to be a great program I have had to revert back to cinema4d for the simple pack shots I am creating
        what was promising is now disappointing

• Robson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope it does not follow the same path of Premiere+MediaEncoder+Subtitles.
        We are waiting a solution for YEARS. :(

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow I can't wait for this to be finished. I have something due Monday with 26 artboards on 26 products, I didn't realise the pixelation would be this pronounced. I have tried every which way — importing .ai file with artboards both small and large (1000px w — 4000 px w), rasterising as png at same, and still, the jaggies.

Will be following Jeanette and Daniel's advice, rendering chunks but at maybe 3-4 chunks for each of the 26 artboards that means anywhere between 70-100 decals to place. 😩

p.s. Thanks to Jeanette and the whole team, while I agree with earlier sentiments about Dimensions in it's current state being unfit for purpose —I appreciate that it's being worked on and thanks for giving us info to work with in meantime.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey everyone, I was on break for the holidays, apologies. I believe I responded elsewhere on the Adobe forums with more details on this issue, but never re-posted here:

Decals have a resolution limit of 2048x2048 internally. However, that resolution can also be made smaller based on the MATERIAL the decal is applied to due to the way we composite the textures together and based on the UVs of the model. So if you put a 2048 decal onto a material which uses a 1024 base texture and the area of the object where you placed the decal only took up 1/2 of the UV space, your final decal resolution might be 512 or so.

Some things that can increase decal quality:
        - Use high resolution textures in your materials (4096 preferred)
        - Divide your decals to retain higher resolution for different elements
        - If you are creating your own models ensure your decal areas have a higher utilization of UV space.

We are actively working on a solution which will render decals at their native resolution, irregardless of what material they are placed on and irregardless of UV allotment. We expect this to be fixed in our next release (tentatively April, 2019).

• Chris Ebels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel - Awesome workaround man. I'm going to try this in my project and see if slicing up the graphics and applying them that way can clean up the result. It's less than ideal but if it works it just saved me a headache and extra money.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok guys, I've solved it. It seems like the admins have no clue what the hell they're talking about. Very unprofessional.

The problem is that apparently Dimensions has a size limit for the textures (in pixels) and if you exceed that limit, it will downsample your image to the highest allowed resolution. So for example, if you apply one large label image on your product of let's say 4000x4000 resolution, dimensions will downsample it to the maximum allowed 1024x1024 (this is an example resolution, don't know the maximum but it's very low).
        This is my source file and a result in dimensions: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBUMI4yOxSCF_XMJg
        super sharp source file but an extremely blurry result

SOLUTION:
        cut your graphics into smaller pieces and apply it one by one to your product. I took out a text from my label and saved it as a separate file. Same pixel density, but it's just a small piece of the label https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBTBLmbXLZXoug9wQ
        and the results https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5E_O3vH8JAgoBSpHS2ZkLEytvq-w

Admin, I don't want to be rude, but if you don't have this basic knowledge of your own app, then it's hard to put any trust in it, or into any of your answers. Please step up your game.

Just wanted to point out that the answer given by admin is completely untrue. I've tested the same model with 4 different typology details and the results are exactly the same. Low res model = low res decal, high res model = low res decal, no change. The admin is not explaining the solution correctly or is uneducated in this matter.

Still having this issue. This makes the entire app simply useless.

• Chris Ebels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's amazing to me that such a glaring issue hasn't been fixed yet. I was planning to use Dimension to render out product images but all the fine print is too pixelated. No matter how I try there seems to be no way to get a sharp enough texture on the labels for fine detail.

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to fix this yesterday for hours and after some googling I found this post!

I thought exporting high res models whas the whole point of this product? As of now I dont really understand the point of Dimensions. Are we supposed to play around? Is it still a beta or what?

If I had know this from the start I would never learned the program or wasted a whole day try to make something in high res. Now I have to go for another software. I´m very disappointed at this product and Adobe.

• Robin Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point of including models in Dimension that won't accept high resolution images? Totally pointless!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base