Feature Request Details

Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

45 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Hayes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Hello all! Happy to say Dimension 2.2 released today (April 2nd, 2019) with some updates for Decal resolution. It should be much higher across the board and also has some new controls for graphics to be placed into “fill” mode for layered graphics.

This is not a complete solution for infinite resolution rendering. When you import graphics that are vector we are currently rasterizing based on the size of the original document. Both vector and raster images still also do have an internal size limit. This is a first step to boost the quality while we work on making the graphics truly resolution independent.

34 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robert Karakian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Unusable decals. This has to be a priority. Useless if images are coming in low res.

• Molly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this as well. I have to render blank objects and then put my design onto them in photoshop in order for it to appear high enough in quality for professional use. I was so excited about the software, and I really hope these improvements are made so I can add dimension to my list of go-to programs.

• Vern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed in the decal resolution issue, it killed an attempt today to get a useable image to use. Anything new on when resolutions will improve?

• James Higgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the decals render at their full resolution would be great. The rest of the model renders in flawlessly and looks fantastic, so really happy with the software there, but it is unfortunately held back by the decal quality which is almost always blurry and grainy, even when rendering at 32bit high quality with very high resolution files created in Illustrator.

My clients love the prospect of using renders as their primary product pictures and even included them in their advertising material. Unfortunately the quality of the decals on the products are the only things turning them away from the idea.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's definitely planned, but not something we've started on yet. There's a bunch of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes this area a little tricky. We will fix it, but have to wait for some components to get caught up. Once we start I will swap the status and you'll get a notification if you're subscribed.

• Tatyana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't seen an update on decal resolution. Is this something that's being worked on?

• Marley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with any model I choose, no matter what file graphic I use. It renders the program unusable honestly. Super disappointing!

• Анна commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem not only using my own 3D models and have it on models that comes with Dimension too. No matter what i use: png,svg,jpg.

• Nauris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried placing the same decal file on different models, even on a simple plane, but it renders in very bad quality, letters are blurred etc.

I tried same decal file also on models that comes with Dimension and the problem is the same. I don't understand how this is connected to UVs resolution of a model.

I also tried different resolutions and jpg vs png files, but the result always looks the same.

I would like to see some solution for this.

• Dante J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know labels are a great addition to the Dimension, but need to increase quality. Another great addition would be the ability to render at a specific resolution.

• gary boad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok is there a way of getting the cube 3D model updated to accept hi res

Gary

• gary boad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
    I am struggling with importing a jpg and it coming out low res and have noticed on different models with the same decal it is different resolution

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base