Feature Request Details

Facebook 3D photos - PLEASE!

I do a lot of product photos, would love to be able to generate what is needed to make the new Facebook 3D photos.

4 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Justen Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just made my first 3d photo and I wanted to share it to Facebook and looks like I'm not the only one. I'd love to be just able to save and upload but I'm unsure if that's an option at this point. Perhaps I could screen record then take and edit that video and upload it as a video but it would be cooler if people could look around the scene themselves. More interactive, I think. Please Advise.

Thank You.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Martine! I've actually already done this and it works. I was hoping for an option to export the photo from Dimension that is ready to upload, making the process MUCH less painful.

• Martine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There already is a option to do this, I tried it myself. The result isn't perfect but it works. Simply render your 3D image to a .PSD. There will be a grayscale image in there which you can use as a depth map by inverting the colours.

Follow this tutorial to turn it into an image that Facebook will recognize as a 3D photo, without the need of a dual lens: https://marckeegan.com/facebook-3d-photos/?fbclid=IwAR1DPzTBcBsfjgjHQPHJpPiidbVzxGpbWVYdmycXUnLeAIveSqk9xDF-Jmc

Looks like Dimension saves a grayscale depth layer. What are the chances of you creating a tool where we can upload the resulting Photoshop render, then convert it to a FB 3D photo ready to upload to your business timeline or use in an ad?

3D is only going to get bigger and bigger, an if Dimension can position itself as the default go-to software that FB advertisers use for product images, I think you'd have quite a large user base.

Now that I think about it though... Also being able to do the full 360 model would be cool too.

I'm talking about the 3D photos (currently FB only supports the iphone dual lense phones, I think). While the full 360 3D models are awesome (I can already make them using my Origami plugin for illustrator), the 3d photos are generating lots of clicks and engagement. My product photos that are generate in Dimension are so incredible, and making them do the 3D illusion as you swipe thing would really make them shine!

Feedback and Knowledge Base