Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export 3D Objects

I'm sure you hear this a lot, but it would be great to have the ability to export objects in .C4D and .FBX file formats to be able to bring them into programs like After Effects and directly into Photoshop.

133 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

74 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More 3D formats

Dimension CC must have more than one import file, not only OBJ, it must have STL, IGS ... Because if the 3D modeling programs that any user uses, do not export in OBJ, we will never work with Dimension CC because it limits our work

57 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! I am closing the request for “More 3D Formats”. There are now specific feature requests for each format.

If there’s a particular format you want added please vote/comment on that.

.STEP
    .IGS
    .GLTF
    .CAD

3. Import .AI Files

Import AI files

(edited by moderator: see separate idea for extruded 3D shapes from vectors: http://projectfelix.uservoice.com/forums/552559/suggestions/31410262 )

53 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Happy Monday, October 15th, everyone! Today we released an update to Dimension CC – the 2.0 release! This release adds support for .ai format image import! Please note that vector files are still rasterized once imported into Dimension. This is currently required by the rendering process, so be sure to save your vector images at the pixel size you intend to use it at in Dimension! In the future we’ll update this to preserve the vector nature in Dimension.

You can see more about the release here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/whats-new.html

4. Import or Merge 3d Models from a other Dimension Scene

Import 3d Models from a other Dimension file (.dn)

50 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension 2.3 is now available (July 16th) and has new export options for .dn, .obj, and .gltf/glb. You can also save models in .dn format from your .dn projects directly to CC Libraries. Dn exporting and importing allows you to save the full detailed models including materials, decal layers, and other attributes, and merge them into other scenes.

You can read documentation about the new export options here: https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/supported-file-types.html#export-models

5. Import SketchUp .skp model format

Love to be able to import SketchUp created models into Felix directly, without needing to convert them into .obj

41 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Link image files and update saved changes

Being able to link my image files so when I save the changes in Photoshop/Illustrator, etc, it is updated in Dimension.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension 2.2 shipped today (April 2nd, 2019) and now has the ability to link images and graphics from CC Libraries. This has the full functionality of CC Libraries between other applications, so updates will happen instantly across your apps if they’re both open, or you can collaborate with others and get notified when an image is updated.

7. .fbx file import capability

I like the idea of using this application to create quick conceptuals from rough block outs of geometry from an outside 3D program. Throw on some shaders, quick HDRI from selection and render. Not sure if we can import custom obj or fbx from outside 3D programs such as Maya? Very limited if we can only use adobe stock.

Also would like to know how to delete materials from the document panel.
    Just don't like seeing materials stack up if they aren't being used like useless junk layers.

Nifty idea here though if further refined! Hope it can use it…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Open in Photoshop

Open in Ps button

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export "textures" and "materials" to edit in Ps

I use applications like Substance Painter, Maya, VRAY to render 3d Objects that can then be used in compositing tools. One area of weakness for Substance Painter for game developers is the ability to "export" as a tga, psd or png fie the texture applied to the model once the effects are applied. It would be a useful feature to have in Felix so could tweak the material in Photoshop then reapply to the object.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! Dimension 1.1 released today with a new feature for editing images in Photoshop.

From any image field in the properties simply open the image picker window then click the edit button to open it in Photoshop. Read more about the release here: adobe.com/products/dimension/features.html

10. Copy/Paste images from other apps

The ability to copy and paste any image from Illustrator, Photoshop, Google, and any other app! Copy/Paste should work from general clipboard for images.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cancel load

you guys need to add a cancel load button for large objects that are too big to load and take too long... i'm having to force quit the program to cancel a big object from loading... i have my own library of objects

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selecting individual model pieces

This program is awesome. The only thing I need is the ability to import a complex models and be able to select each piece individually. If this can be achieved, please advise me how.
    Thanks.
    aqcarter@lochinvar.com

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, this is possible today. If you create a model with multiple parts then the .obj format will preserve those and they will be selectable in Dimension.

One note is that every 3D program exports to .obj differently so you may need to look up tutorials for your application to preserve parts when saving to .obj.

13. custom 3D Model guidelines/instructions or tutorials

Me and some colleagues have been modeling in Cinema 4D and sketchup. Importing the obj files we export is not/sometimes a problem. It's a trial and error proces, mostly error.

From sketchup we get errors sometimes about UVs. And on both the sketchup and the cinema 4D models decals don't work or produce unexpected results.

Could you provide some guidelines or instructions on creating models for use in Dimension CC.

Or make the import proces better.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base