Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

Feature Request Details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. embed into inDesign

Allow Felix 3D models to embed into inDesign for .epub output!

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Adobe Ecosystem  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cloth Assembly and Simulation

I've recently worked in two Design Projects that involved cloth of some sorts. One of them, that was a complete challenge and, though it won 1rst Prize in a National Design Contest, the cloth component still looks horrible on the renders.

Trying to model the cloth part and get it together with the SolidWorks wooden parts was the biggest challenge here. I had to do it manually, polygon by polygon, within the time limit, and figure out a way to get everything together.

Would there be any possibility of modelling cloth physics on Felix and allow for an easier manipulation…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very interesting topic. I think cloth simulation could be really fun to play with and definitely makes a lot of sense to have in some aspect. Thanks for attaching your example image, that’s very helpful.

I’d love to hear what other people think of this too.

3. .dae support

It seems like i can, but when i choose the file i want to import and click open it never apears.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3D Painting link between Felix & Ps

Adobe could really take Felix to the next level, by adding the ability to paint on a mesh with UV's in Photoshop and communicate with Felix, by painting diffuse, spec, normal map then render within Felix send it back to Photoshop for the composite.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion. You can currently do 3D painting in Photoshop and then export the model as an .obj file so I think the key here with this request is to have a more live-linked experience. Could you talk more about what you’d want there?

5. Import new object to same X,Y,Z orientation as current selection

Here is the proposed workflow:
    1. Select an object in Dimension that you've placed
    2. Go up to File>import> 3D Object and click to start the import process
    3. Imported object is set at the exact coordinates of the previously selected object, and is now the selected object in your scene.
    4.You can now make minor X,Y,Z location changes to the new object in order to have it match your vision of the composition.

Current process
    1. write down all of the coordinates for your currently selected object.
    2. Go up to File>import> 3D Object and click to start the…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Very interesting. I’m curious what the core thing you’re trying to do is, though.

Do you want it to import to the same location so that it’s visible because your camera is looking one way and it’s importing behind you? Or is it more about composition, like you’re placing it near that object so want to start there?

Currently we always import objects to the origin of the scene (0,0,0) because different objects might be broken into pieces but intended to align that way. Some other options could be:
    - Import to selection as you described above
    - Import to center of current view
    - Not at import but have additional controls for “move to this object” or “center to my view” type of functionality.

Lots possible here, and none of it is particularly hard, so more understanding the why you want this.

6. Import MTL Materials

I'm having a very difficult time creating new materials...
    I'm currently trying to create a snake skin material, but Dimension CC doesn't support MTL files????
    What is the file type Adobe Dimension uses for its materials? Dimension should import MTL files as these are very common.

---

Edited by Moderator: Please only post ideas in proposal formats, not questions.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension uses the Adobe Standard Material which is based off of the NVidia MDL language. Our supported extension is ‘.mdl’, but it does require the Adobe Standard Material type. You can create MDLs using Substance Painter and Designer at the moment.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/standard-materials.html

For MTL we do have a conversion process when importing it along with an .obj but we do not have a standalone MTL importer yet. This is something we can add though. Since this is an idea based forum I’ll edit this question to be a proposal to support importing MTL materials.

7. beveled or carved edges for art

it would be awesome if we can create beveled/embossed letters for signage. especially letters carved into a surface with a v-cut (like in roman carved letters).

it doesn't even need to be a live text tool, just enable the software to use vector art for 3d art, and we will create the vector in iilustrator and import it to the library.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Orthographic Projection

Orthographic projection for camera in the camera properties

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export for ARKit

HI,

Sure it is on the radar, but exporting for Apple's ARKit would be a good move.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Place Objects on Background Walls/Planes

It would be awesome to have an option to delve deeper into the raster background image—say of an office or room—by being able to place models on the wall with the shadows/lighting interacting as it would hanging/leaning there.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Flip Normal Directions

I tried to import an object made of Autodesk Fusion 360 and been transformed into OBJ through Autodesk 360.
    When I apply a material like wood in rendering the object appears completely black.
    I think the problem is related to the direction of the normal ... would be useful under felix have a command to invert the normal.

Another problem: there is the ability to scale the textures?

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 3D Mouse support

I have a SpaceNavigator from 3Dconnexion and I'd like to use it for camera movement

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Resize Scene Panel

resize the Scene panel on the left to see longer names

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Live Updating Material Thumbnails

After changing the properties of a material the thumbnail in the document doesn't change to reflect the new colors or look.

Also, after loading a model or saving and reloading the Felix .asd file the thumbnails all turn into "?" icons.

Building a way for the application to show live thumbnails of the current materials instead of a static picture will help with these issues!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Adobe XD Integration

Is it possible to integrate it with XD files? It would be very useful to make some Iphone X mockup using images from my Adobe XD.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adobe Ecosystem  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Cinema 4D plugin

Add cinéma 4D plugin like after effect

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Multitouch Trackpad Supoort

Trackpad (MacBook, Magic Trackpad) Support for paning around with two fingers and rotating with two-fingers-gestures.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Adding Another Horizon/Grid

The ability to add a new level/horizon/layer of grid, for example to lay objects out as if on a set of shelves, would be a great help, please

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Redner Completed Phone/Text Alerts

It would be great if Dimension CC count notify my phone when a render is finished. with like a txt or an email or something....

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Shadow mat material to catch shadows (or support for additional ground planes)

I do a lot of custom sign design (room sponsorships, donor walls, etc), and produce 3D renderings of them composited into reference photos I take of where the sign will be installed.

The quality of materials and rendering in Adobe Dimension really has me intrigued, but I need a way to place the 3D model vertically and catch the rendered shadow as if it was set against a wall.

In other software, I create a plane with a shadow mat material to catch the shadow, which is then rendered directly on top of the reference photo set as a background…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base