Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Glow effect, Light radiance

perhaps when rendering glowing objects, (at a high setting) if there could be some light effects shinning off the surface of the glow? currently it just renders a start white edge and casts light over near by surfaces. it would look nicer if the object look closer to light, not just a solid color.

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import MTL Materials

I'm having a very difficult time creating new materials...
    I'm currently trying to create a snake skin material, but Dimension CC doesn't support MTL files????
    What is the file type Adobe Dimension uses for its materials? Dimension should import MTL files as these are very common.

---

Edited by Moderator: Please only post ideas in proposal formats, not questions.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dimension uses the Adobe Standard Material which is based off of the NVidia MDL language. Our supported extension is ‘.mdl’, but it does require the Adobe Standard Material type. You can create MDLs using Substance Painter and Designer at the moment.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/standard-materials.html

For MTL we do have a conversion process when importing it along with an .obj but we do not have a standalone MTL importer yet. This is something we can add though. Since this is an idea based forum I’ll edit this question to be a proposal to support importing MTL materials.

3. Add scripting support

Please add scripting support (Javascript/Applescript/VBscript). Allow users to open,close and save files, replace surfaces images, set render settings, and render documents.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export for ARKit

HI,

Sure it is on the radar, but exporting for Apple's ARKit would be a good move.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. embed into inDesign

Allow Felix 3D models to embed into inDesign for .epub output!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Adobe Ecosystem  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cloth Assembly and Simulation

I've recently worked in two Design Projects that involved cloth of some sorts. One of them, that was a complete challenge and, though it won 1rst Prize in a National Design Contest, the cloth component still looks horrible on the renders.

Trying to model the cloth part and get it together with the SolidWorks wooden parts was the biggest challenge here. I had to do it manually, polygon by polygon, within the time limit, and figure out a way to get everything together.

Would there be any possibility of modelling cloth physics on Felix and allow for an easier manipulation…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very interesting topic. I think cloth simulation could be really fun to play with and definitely makes a lot of sense to have in some aspect. Thanks for attaching your example image, that’s very helpful.

I’d love to hear what other people think of this too.

7. 3D Painting link between Felix & Ps

Adobe could really take Felix to the next level, by adding the ability to paint on a mesh with UV's in Photoshop and communicate with Felix, by painting diffuse, spec, normal map then render within Felix send it back to Photoshop for the composite.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion. You can currently do 3D painting in Photoshop and then export the model as an .obj file so I think the key here with this request is to have a more live-linked experience. Could you talk more about what you’d want there?

8. Live Updating Material Thumbnails

After changing the properties of a material the thumbnail in the document doesn't change to reflect the new colors or look.

Also, after loading a model or saving and reloading the Felix .asd file the thumbnails all turn into "?" icons.

Building a way for the application to show live thumbnails of the current materials instead of a static picture will help with these issues!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Metal edge reflectance

Dimensions would benefit from proper edge reflectance for metals. Right now once something is fully metallic, the reflection color is uniform without regard to incidence angle. But that's now how metals are in the real world, the metal's color shifts to a desaturated version of the primary color. This is something many applications do. the edge reflectance follows the fresnel equation with something like 1.3 IOR for curve shape. Without this metals look flat and incorrect to the eye of someone who does 3D work and knows about this physical property.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pivoting

Can we can we add additional pivot points? Like bottom left, top right, etc.?

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ambient Occlusion

Please add two sliders for ambient occlusion, both size and intensity. The ability to add this to renderings of exterior building facades will make the renderings "pop".

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multitouch Trackpad Supoort

Trackpad (MacBook, Magic Trackpad) Support for paning around with two fingers and rotating with two-fingers-gestures.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Shadow mat material to catch shadows (or support for additional ground planes)

I do a lot of custom sign design (room sponsorships, donor walls, etc), and produce 3D renderings of them composited into reference photos I take of where the sign will be installed.

The quality of materials and rendering in Adobe Dimension really has me intrigued, but I need a way to place the 3D model vertically and catch the rendered shadow as if it was set against a wall.

In other software, I create a plane with a shadow mat material to catch the shadow, which is then rendered directly on top of the reference photo set as a background…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support for Gradients in Color Fields

It would be interesting to be able to degrade (gradient) in the background instead of a single color!

---

Edited by moderator for non-English posting. This community is English only.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. beveled or carved edges for art

it would be awesome if we can create beveled/embossed letters for signage. especially letters carved into a surface with a v-cut (like in roman carved letters).

it doesn't even need to be a live text tool, just enable the software to use vector art for 3d art, and we will create the vector in iilustrator and import it to the library.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Place Objects on Background Walls/Planes

It would be awesome to have an option to delve deeper into the raster background image—say of an office or room—by being able to place models on the wall with the shadows/lighting interacting as it would hanging/leaning there.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. History or Revert feature

A revert feature would be great in this app - just to provide some recourse when experimenting with lighting and material properties etc.. Learning by trial and error I am quiting quite a lot in order to get to a previous point [ultimate would be a history like Photoshop of course!]

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Cut Tool to Split Models

There needs to be a way to cut or splice the model to create points that can be stretched, rotated or moved from the object separate from the rest of it.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Photogrammetry Support

photogrammetry software like" Photomodeler", "Agisoft PhotoScan" and "Acute3D" were still not making the 3Dmodel from multicamera positions as accurate and with high resolution as I needed it to be.
    Perhaps Adobe can make a difference ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photogrammetry_software
    I am using 9 Nikon D800 camera's to do lenticular, timefreeze and 3D modeling . No accurate and easy software ( affordable and powerfull ) software yet tried that meets demands.
    Currently using twitter Pro in After Affects for inter-camera calculations. A 3D model instead of rotoscoping front from background would be helpful too to get AE and Twixtor Pro working better.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. render to EXR - render passes

It would very good to have the option to render to EXR with multiple passes. Compositing in this way gives a great deal of flexibility in post over the reflections, color, light /shadows, specularity, transparency..

It would also be very interesting to see the render output directly linked to Photoshop, premiere/ aftereffects.

In other applications rendering is not linked to the post processing tools - which makes it much slower to update layers and much less likely that re-rendering or additional changes will happen in the retracing tool.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base