Adobe Dimension: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide specific details. Why is this feature valuable to you? Give an example of how you would use it in a workflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Extrude Vectors as 3D Shapes

Extrusion is a technique where a flat 2D shape or surface is pulled out to give it depth. Vector extrusion would allow users to import vectors as paths, then extrude those paths into 3D shapes. This would include some additional parameters like hard or rounded corners.

306 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

62 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all! We’re taking a look at adding extrusion to Dimension later this year. We’re combining this with a text tool and hope to support vector/text extrusion later this year. I’ll update here as we progress!

2. Package Design - Create 3D Model from Dyeline/Blueprint

I'd like to be able to build a product package from a dieline created in Illustrator, fold it along specific lines, give it a UV gloss on parts, add foiling and embossing where required.

230 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your patience and interest in this idea over the last several years. At Adobe MAX 2018 we demoed a technology called Project Fantastic Fold, and over the last year we’ve been working on bringing that into reality.

I’m pleased to say we’re opening our first private beta for Project Fantastic Fold, a tool for interactively folding dielines into 3D models.

The private beta requires you to join the Prerelease. If you’re interested please head to https://www.fantasticfold.com/ and sign up for the beta program!

3. GPU Rendering

Would be nice to use this with external GPU. My 2015 MBP with AMD Radeon is running fans so loud, it is hard to listen. And the speed of rendering is pretty slow.

Otherwise I definitely love the idea of 3D app for designers inclouded in CC. Just as handy, as Adobe Muse. Can't wait to see next versions.

201 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

121 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all! I just wanted to give a quick update, since GPU rendering has been out as a beta for a little while. The initial beta was built on NVidia Optix backend and only worked for some Nvidia cards. Thank you for all of the feedback so far!

One issue we’re hearing is that the GPU renderer errors out and then Dimension doesn’t show the GPU as supported again. Updating to the latest video card drivers is recommended and may resolve this issue.

We’re actively working on rebuilding the GPU rendering in a different way, so it’s available to all users across all hardware (Nvidia, AMD, MSI, etc).

We’ll update the status here as we get closer to a beta of the next version of GPU rendering.

4. Custom 3D Light Objects (Spot, Point, Area)

Lighting in Project Felix is currently handled through the Environment and Sunlight objects. Custom light objects would allow studio setups, with area lights that can be positioned, sized, rotated, colored, and set at varying intensities.

192 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say we are starting work on some lighting features this year. While I don’t know the full scope of what we’ll be able to release this year yet, some areas we’re exploring are:

More directional lights (like the sun) with a lightpainting interface to create custom environment lights.

Improvements to our Match Image feature to be able to detect and generate multiple indoor lights.

Improvements to glow materials to make them more expressive.

Additions of haze, environmental atmosphere, etc.

Last, but not least, actual 3D placed light objects.

I’ll update here when we have a more scoped vision or a prototype for testing! :)

5. 158 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone! I wanted to thank you for a lot of patience on the topic of creation and modeling in Dimension. I thought I’d provide a small update here.

Dimension 3.2 just released with our first native creation features, including text and basic shapes.

In the future we do expect to have some more creation like vector extrusion and lathing, but don’t have a release timeline for that yet.

I will l say we are also working on some cool mesh editing capabilities, so you can customize models instead of having to start from scratch.

I hope to update here soon with more progress, but in the mean time, I hope you enjoy text and shapes!

6. Import .stp STEP files

Dimension would be much more useful if it could import standard cad formats such as .stp files.

93 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! CAD import for Dimension, including STEP and STP files, is now available for early testing on our Prerelease program. You can join the Prerelease here:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/6D4BC437-A571-40B6-B398-1D29A4A13985

Remember Prerelease access is an optional beta program. Prerelease builds are for testing and feedback to the team and not intended or sanctioned for commercial use in live projects until the feature is officially released.

We’d love your feedback on the workflow so far, on whether your CAD models are importing correctly and whether you’re able to achieve the right results!

7. .igs/.iges, .sat, .smt and .stp/.step

These would be VERY helpful for those of us working in a Engineering Department. Engineers create models and we Technical Illustrators would love to make use of those models. Right now our option is a VERY EXPENSIVE Keyshot program. Bu we already have Adobe CC so it would be a great fit! So, PLEASE add support for at least these. Then later we'll bug you about native support for popular Solid Modeling Programs like SolidWorks and SolidEdge.

75 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Import Solidworks 3D File Formats

In my company, product designers usually render from Solidworks, and we have to wait for product samples to complete ad photography.

I was hoping Felix could cut out the middle man, but today I found out that Felix supports no file types Solidworks can export. It kind of defeats the purpose of the program for my role.

If we could support any of these file types (obviously excluding PS, PDF's, and JPEGS). We want this specifically to take prototype models to photography level.

71 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Higher decal resolution

Higher resolution for decals would be nice. Had to add a decal to a product shot and it was pixilated on the render image.
    Really annoying because I wasn't able to make FINAL detail shots of the product and had to add the decals in Photoshop by hand.

BTW: Is there a limit for the resolution of decals?

64 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone! I saw a good number of new questions here, so thought I’d respond to everyone with an update. Unfortunately we still don’t have true ‘vector’ support in Dimension.

Whatever ‘size’ and resolution your vector is in Illustrator is what it’s going to be applied as in Dimension. When importing to Dimension we convert it to a .png and use that.

I recommend using a minimum of about 1000×1000 size images from Ai or Ps. 2000×2000 is better. 4000×4000 is best! ;D

This quality reduction can also be cause because of the way 3D models work. The entire image you use is shared across the model and then only as a part of the canvas based on camera zoom. So you could be zooming in to part of the model and rendering it at a higher resolution than the graphic was originally.

Decal resolution can also be affected by…

10. Import CAD files

Import CAD files please!

60 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that we’ve started work on supporting more file formats. We won’t be able to address all of them at the same time. Our initial new formats we’re looking to support will be:

.fbx
    .step
    .iges
    .stl

When these are available on prerelease I will post an update here with an invitation for you to come try it out! Thank you for the feedback!

11. Queue Multiple Renders

It would be great to have a way to queue up more than one render if you need more than one angle of a product (I do, often). This way you can set a computer to do all the renderings you need and not having to touch it until its done working.

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today Dimension allows you to queue multiple camera views in Render mode. We’re working to expand this system to multiple configurations of one scene as well as working on automation features for rendering multiple documents.

Will provide more information as we get further along!

12. 360 background image

I would like to be able to use a 360 still or video with Dimension so that when I rotate the view the background rotates in relation to the objects in the center.

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Snap Objects Together

Snap Objects together by seecting the two faces you want to touch (snap to surface, snapy to edge, snapt to center etc)

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello! Snapping in 3D is a huge must for Dimension! I wanted to share two things!

First, if you haven’t tried it yet, clicking on the “pivot handle” (the white handle at the center of the gizmo) will let you drag models along the surface of other models and the ground. I’ve attached a .gif and you can learn more about the move tools in Dimension here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/use-transform-tools-select-arrange-objects.html

Second, we’re also going to start working on some more advanced object snapping. I’ll update soon when we have progress!

14. Cloud Rendering

option to process final renders in the 'cloud', render images on external servers not on local machine. this would be a dream for all those not carrying around monster laptops or able to waste hours watching pixels grow.

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all! I wanted to make a quick update on Cloud Render! This is still in the free beta period, but with our latest release (Dimension 2.3, which went live today July 16th), we’ve increased the size limit from 2000×2000 pixels to 4000×4000 pixels. Enjoy the higher resolution renders!

15. Control Presets for Other 3D Software

The first thing you want to do when you get into a new 3D app, is learn to move around. It's the thing you actually do the most.

I feel like every time I go into a new 3D package every one is always trying to make you conform to their new controle system... I think that you should have the ability to manuver with the same controles from your most familiar package.

Cinema 4d
    Maya
    Max
    Blender

Blender actually has this feature, and I always choose Maya controles...

Back when before it was Autodesk Maya and it was still…

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The latest release of Dimension now includes. a control preset for Substance Painter which is similar to the 3D industry standard of Alt being the main camera control activator.

However, this only controls the camera presets, not additional tools like WER for move, rotate, scale.

We’d love some feedback from anyone who tries out this preference on whether camera controls being similar to other 3D apps is helpful without additional controls presets for other tools like the transform tools.

16. Align Camera View to Model Face

Allow the user to align the camera straight with face. Clicking the "Align to Face" icon and seleting a a straight face within the model space will align the camera view straight on with the face. This could be useful for applying materials, meshes and images such as logos should they become available.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We wanted to let you guys know that we have started this feature along with a few other new camera updates. Hopefully in the next released version of Dimension we will ship with the ability to align the camera to a face. Currently, it is implemented within the Orbit tool, so you can just double click on a face with the Orbit tool active (or cmd+double right click with any tool active) and the camera will move to look at that point, aligned to the surface. This can help with aligning decals to surfaces. You can see a prototype of this working in the attached gif.

17. Would love to have Displacement Maps

Would love the addition of Displacement maps so we can get some added details out of certain models. Would add a lot of realism for an otherwise flat world of extras beside normals.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. respect pivot point and coordinate system

I have a specific pivot point on my OBJs. When I import it into Dimensions, the pivot seems to change to the centroid. It would be nice to have an option to respect the pivot of the model and not have it changed. Also it would also be nice be able to work Z up if needed.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Better approximation of lighting

I wish the lighting more closely approximated what the rendered version will look like. Most of the time the lighting is way off and I have to re-render the scene which can take a while. Even the Show/Hide Render Preview quick view within the Design stage should be improved.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re actively working on improving the real-time approximation. I was curious for the Render Preview mode if you think that is giving you different results. It should be fairly accurate to the final render aside from the level of noise and grain which is capped to prevent it from using too much power

Feel free to share a screenshot or two if you’re getting drastically different results!

20. Open Files instead of Import

When I go to File, Open, The only optional file types are .asd or *.dn. I am trying to open a Sketchup 2019 file as per attached.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Import / Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base