Feature Request Details

Export 3D Objects

I'm sure you hear this a lot, but it would be great to have the ability to export objects in .C4D and .FBX file formats to be able to bring them into programs like After Effects and directly into Photoshop.

117 votes
Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) responded  · 

Exporting objects is complete (internally) and will be available in the next version of Dimension. Our initial export formats are:

.dn (for lossless workflows between Dn projects)
.obj
.gltf and .glb

I’ll update again when the new version is shipped, but wanted to let you know as I’ve seen a lot of action on this idea lately!

67 comments

Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is truly great news - once we have file export, this tool becomes the go to tool in my organisation!

• Robert L Milton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over a YEAR ago... where are we at on this? Few reasons for studios to adopt this if it is an island and isolated from the next steps! This could be a great tool for concepts and tests early in the pipeline... but why bother if we are locked to exporting stills???

Timeframe??

• Philippe Soetaert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, for sure export for .OBJ and C4D will be great,
    and ... , ability to create normal, bump, Ambiant Oclusion map... why not then desplacment map too..
    thanks

• Jason Vollario commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be crucial to have the ability to export .obj to bring into programs such as cinema 4d etc, the ability to use substance materials and work on models in Dimension is fantastic, carrying those materials and objects into after effects for video and animation is the next step here.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything Daniel Kay has mentioned!!! Please Please please dimension team..!!!

"I've built some nice stuff models in Dimension. It would be really nice to be able to export them as 3D objects.
    Also, it's extremely frustrating to not be able to cut and paste from one Dimension to another, or import one into another. Constantly having to rebuild models is a pain. I've taken to doing overall assembly in Photoshop or alternate 3D programs, and using Dimension to add lights and textures. Dimension has so many tools already, and is a pleasure to use - within its limitations. It feels like it's 70% there. With some more functionality it could be a really good option for modeling, 3d design, etc."

• Daniel Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've built some nice stuff models in Dimension. It would be really nice to be able to export them as 3D objects.
    Also, it's extremely frustrating to not be able to cut and paste from one Dimension to another, or import one into another. Constantly having to rebuild models is a pain. I've taken to doing overall assembly in Photoshop or alternate 3D programs, and using Dimension to add lights and textures. Dimension has so many tools already, and is a pleasure to use - within its limitations. It feels like it's 70% there. With some more functionality it could be a really good option for modeling, 3d design, etc.

• Sierra Willenburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a vote for this as well. I'm currently working with some OBJ models I downloaded and it would be awesome to be able to make some quit edits in Dimension and export again for use elsewhere. I really like the simplicity of Dimension and it would be awesome to be able to also use it for quick prototypes that can be brought into Unity or something similar.

• 莊 琦閔 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need export 3d opject to STL,Object 3D print ,And Use Cinema 4D to make 3D video

• Tom Lunzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup, pretty standard stuff here. I create for example some nice hams and cheeses and sausages in a deli case in one Adobe Dimensions project, I expected to use these same objects in another project if I wanted to. But no, I will have to re-create these items again. Sure is silly this was not an obvious included feature. I mean come on, what 3D program can't you export your 3D creations?

• Matthieu Milliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course the classical OBJ, FBX format with a nice package so you can store your Dn assets with the textures..
    Also a very nice option would be to export USDZ files.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With PowePoint’s new ability to take .obj files, the ability to skin 3d objects in Dimension and export them would be a huge help.. Please add this capability to a future update.

• Steven Touart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exporting models from adobe stock into 3ds max or even substance painter is what I would really love to happen. And i'm honestly a little surprised that isn't a feature that is already in Adobe Dimension

• jmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I'm a little surprise, if you are able to import the file in OBJ in Dimension you can import it also in a Slicer if the goal is to 3D print.

I don't see how you can modify the model in Dimension that you can store in a STL file as this format don't store any material informations...

• Diana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen. I'm looking into other programs because this export feature doesn't exist.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base