Bug Request Details

Stuck on Start Screen

I've downloaded Project Felix, app starts and I get the introduction panel, as shown in image. The preview video works, the two options; "create a new project" and "start a guided tour" do not open. When either option is selected, the black triangular pointer with blue loading circle appears but program seems to get stuff at that point.

81 votes
Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve resolved some past issues of some users not being able to use Dimension, however there is a known issue still remaining.

Video cards that do not support a specific instruction set (AVX/AVX2) will not be able to run Dimension. This is primarily video cards from early 2012 or earlier.

At this time our System Requirements checker is unable to ‘catch’ this and leads to the application crashing on the Start Screen when the New Document or Get Started buttons are clicked.

At this time we are unable to fix this issue or catch to throw an error. We are continuing investigation on this.

243 comments

Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Manny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too can't open a new project on a Mac. Any ideas when a fix will come ?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
    3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
    32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Macintosh SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

• Matt Huntington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this issue as well :(

Can't wait to try Project Felix!!!

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
    OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
    Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 12 cores
    64GB DDR3 Memory
    GeForce GTX 770 4GB
    1 TB SSD eSata PCIe
    4 TB Scratch Disks

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Eric, I did not mean to imply we aren't working on it, simply that it might be the same symptom from a different root cause. The work we're doing will definitely resolve for Mac, but we don't have a solution for Windows yet. I have sent out some requests for users for remote sessions an we're continuing to investigate.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeanette,

We have seen many users come here and post that they have experienced this on a Windows computer (myself included) for weeks now. This can't simply be brushed aside because your having trouble replicating it...

Company policy dictates that I cannot remote session with you, but this problem is still persisting in the Windows communities as well.

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Product Manager, Dimension) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hehe yeah, it's early days for us. We have a ton of performance improvements that we're working on with them right now. Vray itself is fast but it's all about implementation. Now that it's working it's time to bring it to the quality and speed you should expect from a brand new Adobe app.

We only support .obj at the moment but we'll be expanding the list of supported file formats. The ones we're considering at the top of the list are .fbx, and .dae, but there's a wide list we're considering. You can find ideas for all of those with the search and vote on the ones you'd like for your projects.

• Andy Engelkemier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't it just older macs? I mean, if someone is rendering on an imac, it's probably just time to leave that person in the dust. You shouldn't expect to do this type of work on any machine older than 5 years. It might work, but you really shouldn't.

And it's great you have them working on it. Hopefully Vlado. That guy is incredibly smart, and fast. He could probably fix you guys up pretty quickly.

Now that I know you're using their engine, I'm wondering why it's so incredibly slow. Hopefully their engineer can work that out as well.
    In my tests.....I gave up. It was too slow to do anything. But on the same machine, vray for 3dsMax is zippy, and so is keyshot (probably your main competitor in this space).

I can't quite remember the formats that I could import also, but I feel like FBX was Not one of them?
    FBX and OBJ are musts. Extra points if you have a converter for nurbs cad data. I'm sure people would love to import iges and step, as well as native solid works, creo, rhino, etc.

• Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can Adobe please give us an update on this showstopping issue. Jeannette, we haven't hear from you the last four weeks. Are you making any progress? I'll be glad to hear from you. Thanks in advance. Pierre Versleijen, Netherlands

• João commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I just downloaded Project Feelix twice. I can start the app and then when i have to choose "create new project" or "start a guided tour", i can choose both and they just dont work.

System Info
    - Project Felix Version - Version 0.1.1
    - OS/Version - Windows 10 Pro
    - Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3.1241 c3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
    - Memory/RAM - 16,0GB
    - Graphics Card/VRAM - This is a model from Dell - Precision T1700- not sure about the Graphic card, but is the standard one from this Dell Computer.

Thanks in advance,

• Eli Geller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope this is the right place for this question.
    I've recently found out about Felix and was very excited since it could really fit in my workflow. I installed the application and found out that I cannot use it because of the OS X freeze bug.
    Since I'd really like to have a go at using Felix, I'd like to know if there is an estimate as to when this bug could be fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was a big dream when i see the first intention of solution 3d by the Adobe Systems Incorporated in an attempt to make a 3d software, it´s my dream that Im waiting for so long... i believed......but .....uff
    Mr. Adobe, yes you can!!! we belive!!! we need one professional software 3d in the pack, design, modify, edit, animate and render must be easy, for do a better world.

Jaime Barros L.
    Industrial Designer
    Santiago/ Chile

• Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Jeanatte, my computer at work (mac pro tower Mid 2010)since the lunch of Filex still doesn't work like everyone else, and i already gave the info of what you need post, but a small update, for some reason my laptop at home which is a macbook pro 15 early 2011 works great with felix only the render is a bit slow because of its old GPU i'm guessing, good luck with the bug fixes. i know its hard to debug stuff when you don't have all the info.

• Marc L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. It would be helpful if that bug with the stuck start screen could be fixed, so I can finally use Felix on my iMac

Hi Kurt, thanks for the extra information. To clarify on the "beachball of death", you're able to start the application and it launches the start screen. You can play the demo video but once you click on the "Create New Project" or "Start Tour" buttons then the beachball starts spinning, is that correct?

If so, this is a known issue we've been tracking. Unfortunately it was a very elusive bug and it took some time to track down.

If that's NOT the situation where you're getting the beach ball, please provide more clarity on when it's occurring.

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeanette...

Felix 0.1.1
    iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
    2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

i just feel that for someting like this to slip through the hands of a large company like Adobe is pretty bad. It should not happen at all.

Feedback and Knowledge Base