Bug Request Details

Issues importing .obj files.

There seems to be an issue importing .obj files. Some work and some do not. If I make a sphere in Photoshop and export it as an .obj it will not import into Felix. However, if I create one in Meshmixer and export it as an .obj it will import in Felix. Do you have any sugestions on settings needed in the .obj file in order for Felix to import the file?

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, just downloaded Dimension. Can import a very simple .obj file, but cannot import complex .obj files. I am very well versed in Rendering programs, so dimension seems like a good start. However, with out being able to import complex .obj files, the program is of no use to me

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@asakiokamura - Sounds like it might have a UV issue and isn't able to display the full graphics. Unfortunately hard to say without seeing the model. Feel free to submit a 1-1 contact support request with the .obj and I can take a look.

Hi,

I am wondering if obj objects made in Maya or Sculptress/ZBrush work in Felix? I've tried using one from Sculptris, and although the Felix material appears on my model while working on it, the actual render shows a black texture.

hello, i want to import a .obj which was created in PS CC by importing an .igs file. But some of the meshes stay darker as the original material. what can i do?

greets steven

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks for the answer, I just tried that a few minutes ago but nothing happen, Felix don't show any error or somnething, still blank :(

Is strange the files how i made few weaks ago still working when i try to import, but all the news files don't

• AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Carlos! Yeah, the Ps and Felix workflow is still a little strange. We have asked the Photoshop team to help us find a few issues and are working with them to improve the export-import.

Use the export option 3D > Export 3D Layer... and then in the options for the Wavefront|OBJ Export turn off the "textures" option. This should give you just a raw .obj file.

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new version of Felix 0.2.0 don't fix the issues with .obj; I just made anything in 3D photshop and export the 3D layer in JPG, PNG, PSD but still not working, I try to erase the lines of the codes (Map_Kd, adobe_Bump, etc... ) in the mtl, but still not working.

Hello! Felix reads the .mtl file that's paired with the .obj as long as they are in the same directory. The .mtl file is written in a way that it tells the program reading it what textures to connect where. We don't use .mtl directly, so we will do an automatic conversion to .mdl (the material definition language we're using). Your texturse should come in automatically when you import the .obj.

However, there are some known issues with this, if the textures are certain formats, sizes, etc, it may get dropped. Try saving your textures as 1k or 2k .png files for better compatibility.

If that's still not working please use the contact support link and send your file for analysis.

Hi Jeanette, I would like to know how I can import the textures (.MTL) of a .OBJ, exported by 3Ds Max.

Greetings.

Hey Harley - if the .obj .mtl and .jpg/.png textures are in the same location then it should import along with the model.
        1) check that they're in the same location
        2) open the .mtl in a text editor and verify that the texture names are in there - sometimes the .mtl might not include it
        3) make sure the format of the images are .png/.jpg - we don't support .psd, .dds or many other formats yet

If that doesn't work feel free to submit a direct ticket with the files and we can take a look.

• Harley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I import an MTL file into Project Felix? My Obj file is only white without any texture.

• Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having trouble as well with a rectangle that has a bevel and the image for a gift card. I've been trying to import .obj file that was made in Photoshop but it's tiny, doesn't have the image texture, and it's waaaayyyyy off the mark location wise. The coordinates in which it appeared are x: 391.7 y: -636.6 z: -95.5. I moved it and enlarged it, but it's still just grey and the bevel around and shadow are both gone so it's just a pixelated shape now.

I´m still having problems with obj. files that were made in Photoshop. Some don´t Import at all, others are so small that I cannot even see, where they are in Felix. This is also part of what I called "100% compatibility between Photoshop and Felix" in another thread.
        That´s btw. similar to what many people were compalining about, when they worked in After Effects and Photoshop with 3D. They are not compatible in many ways.
        So do we now have 3 Adobe apps that can do 3D and none of them are compatible?
        That doesn´t make much sense to me.

• Tiago Miranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Jeanette!

I tried importing a different OBJ file today with the new release and nothing shows up. I don't even get a dialog box.

The meshes were modelled on Solidworks and imported to 3dsMax to be exported as OBJ.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base