Bug Request Details

low res decals

Hi
I am struggling with importing a jpg and it coming out low res and have noticed on different models with the same decal it is different resolution

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

gary boad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) responded  · 

Decal resolution is actually based on the model itself. There is a system called UVs, which is a coordinate system that translates the 3D model into 2D space. Depending on how the 3D artist made the model any section of the 3D model has varying resolution related to the UVs.

We are actively exploring making decals resolution not tied to the object/UV resolution.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Dimension CC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's definitely planned, but not something we've started on yet. There's a bunch of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes this area a little tricky. We will fix it, but have to wait for some components to get caught up. Once we start I will swap the status and you'll get a notification if you're subscribed.

• Tatyana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't seen an update on decal resolution. Is this something that's being worked on?

• Marley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with any model I choose, no matter what file graphic I use. It renders the program unusable honestly. Super disappointing!

• Анна commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem not only using my own 3D models and have it on models that comes with Dimension too. No matter what i use: png,svg,jpg.

• Nauris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried placing the same decal file on different models, even on a simple plane, but it renders in very bad quality, letters are blurred etc.

I tried same decal file also on models that comes with Dimension and the problem is the same. I don't understand how this is connected to UVs resolution of a model.

I also tried different resolutions and jpg vs png files, but the result always looks the same.

I would like to see some solution for this.

• Dante J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know labels are a great addition to the Dimension, but need to increase quality. Another great addition would be the ability to render at a specific resolution.

Feedback and Knowledge Base